close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sealing A Plywood Casting Deck

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Jason6644, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Yes I know that Plywood is not the best choice for a casting deck, but thats what i have for a casting deck for my boat. What I was wondering is if I could get some suggestions on which type of plywood sealer stuff i should use so that my plywood doesn't swell up and will last quite a while. Please include the brand name, store you bought it and an approx price. Thanks

J

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

3. I'll second what littleking suggested. Some sort of epoxy, or fiberglass resin. It doesn't need to be a specific brand. I hope you at least used exterior plywood.

4. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I would use polyester resin and hardener, same as you would use with fiberglass. Thin with acetone and paint (brush or roll) all surfaces. I'm pretty sure you should thin first, add hardener second. Multiple coats will be needed because the first coats will soak in and penetrate the wood (this is desired), sand and/or wipe with acetone between coats to remove the waxy film that develops as the polyester cures. I used this method when I replaced my plywood transom plate several years ago.

Polyester resin is probably around $20.00 to $30.00/gal

Epoxy resin is better, but more expensive, like $60.00 to $80.00/gal

Lots of "boat building with plywood" sites, like this one:http://shop.glenl.com/index.htm