SD/SDHC Memory Card

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Blue Pike, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I may or may not have a problem, I just don’t know.

My wife is getting me a digital camera for my birthday. She let me pick the one I want (good woman) I told her a Canon PowerShot S5 IS would be nice. She ordered it today.
    Now here is maybe my problem the S5 memory card is Secure Digital and I want to get a 4GB High-Capacity card for it. My computer has a 15-in-1 media card reader, it will read a SD card but it does not specifically say it will read a SDHC card.
    My question --- Will a SD card reader read a SDHC card?

2. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I don't know about the card reader. However, you can plug the camera directly into your computer using the USB cable that will come with your camera. Really no need for the card reader.
    The salesman talked me into buying a card reader with my last camera purchase, only to find out later that I don't need it.

Brian

3. Went to Best Buy and talked to one of the geeks.
    He said that the SD reader may or may not read a 4GB SDHC card.

Then told me it was my lucky day, the Sandisk 4GB SDHC card with a free high speed reader was on sale for 30 bucks.
    The reader plugs into my USB 2.0 port on the front of the PC, problem solved. COOL!!

Thanks for the info triton175--- Yea, you got to watch them salesmen.
    That’s what was cool about the Geek guy at Best Buy. He went and got the 4GB card with a free reader and didn’t try and sell me something I didn’t need.

4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

And you may find that you like the reader even more if your new camera will shoot video clips. They take much longer to download to your pc than still shots, I've found.

I've got a new Canon Powershot A720IS that I'm learning about and over Christmas I shot a number of vid clips. It took nearly a half hour and shot a pair of AA batteries in the camera to download the pics plus clips. :D