close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scrapes

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by zamoyer, Oct 22, 2004.

1. I was just looking for some info on how to tell if a scrape is authentic or not. I was hunting Thurs night and found a couple of scrapes, but was unsure if they were man made or if they were the real thing. Any information would be appreciated.

2. Well I guess if the person were good enough at making a mock scrape it would be pretty difficult to tell the difference.;) I guess you could look for the presence of large deer tracks to help convince you. As far as the scrape itself a hunter can clear the site and put scrape marks in it, even put urine in it to make it look much like the real thing. I hope that answers your question.

3. I suppose it's pretty tough to tell, but there are a couple things to look for. Like Brian mentioned, deer tracks at least say that a real deer has visited. Also, look for the overhead branch. Somewhere near the tip of it, it WILL be chewed on and probably broken.

4. Now DO NOT think that ii do this all the time, becfause i am the only one who hunts alot of my places i go, so here it goes......make sure you put your rubber boots and gloves on then simply get down and smell it :( . if it is really pungeant than i probably is the real thing. most of the bottled stuff wqhich i never use and absolutely hate will dissipate unless there is a drip bottle above the scrape, within several days i think. If a buck or bucks are working that scrape alot then it will stick to high heaven, Hope this helps out. Not sure if you will do it or not, but it does work. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. LoL........I guess that could be one way to find if it is authentic or not.........i just might have to try that.........thanks for the info

6. I have a? I went out today to check on my tree that I hunted last year.To my surprise ther was ahuge scrape not 5 feet away.It is very fresh.Should I try and find another tree farther away or stay there?