Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 125 ft of weld cable ,I was trying to sell for $100,had no takers,so I decided to scrap it,,it weighed 66 lbs with the insulation off ,$3.63 a lb,got $239 for it glad no one bought it,also sold a 100 lbs of lead,$75.I am going to get serious about cleaning out the garage now .still have about 600 lbs of lead to get rid of and a bunch of copper buss bars,things I would normally just throw in the trash

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
I took an old riding lawnmower to the scrap yard and got $75...It's surprising what they will pay. I took an old wood burner but I forgot what it paid but it was worth the trouble to take it apart....

·
Registered
208 Posts
What kind of lead do you have? You might be able to sell to people who cast bullets for a little more than scrap value.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I took an old riding lawnmower to the scrap yard and got $75...It's surprising what they will pay. I took an old wood burner but I forgot what it paid but it was worth the trouble to take it apart....
Did you have to disassemble the mower or did they take it whole?

I'm asking because I have one I'd like to do the same with.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have still have about 100 lbs that I know is soft lead, I sold a hundred lbs of lead to a guy that cast bullets,he took a couple of lead anchors and said that was what he needed,,you are right I could get more but it is a lot of screwing around,I have seen guys buying lead at Bass Pro I think it was about $ 5 a pound,,to make sinkers

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I had 125 ft of weld cable ,I was trying to sell for $100,had no takers,so I decided to scrap it,,it weighed 66 lbs with the insulation off ,$3.63 a lb,got $239 for it glad no one bought it,also sold a 100 lbs of lead,$75.I am going to get serious about cleaning out the garage now .still have about 600 lbs of lead to get rid of and a bunch of copper buss bars,things I would normally just throw in the trash
yea, its just not a good idea to trash anything metal anymore. copper, brass, aluminum are some of your better metals but you can sell anything. i had an old 88 van sitting out in the yard. it ran and the tranny was still good but the body was junk. and the tires were dry rotted and flat. some guy came up with a truck with the car hauler bed, and offered me 300.00. i didnt even try to jack him up any. he gave me 300.00 loaded it up and my junk pile is gone.

i put new vinyl siding on my house. well i got almost as much for my old aluminum siding as the new standard vinyl siding costed.
sherman

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Did you have to disassemble the mower or did they take it whole?

I'm asking because I have one I'd like to do the same with.
They took it whole - tires, wheels, fiberglass body seat the whole works. dragged onto the truck ...
I used the scrap yard on I think Lakeland Blvd in Eastlake or maybe Willoughby OH near E361st.

I had to dismantle the woodburner cause it weighed like 500 pounds. Just threw everything in the pickup truck and they took it all. Glass door bricks cast iron.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That's my second job I pick up the stuff after work. I have to haul it in every couple of weeks it's 80-100 every time. Also I have a guy come from Indiana that buys my brake rotors radiators and a few other things that's another 100-200. Not bad pocket money.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I took down our swimming pool last Sunday. I used a sawsall (spelling?) and had the metal in nice truck bed size sheets. I was going to post on here in case anyone wanted it but it was gone in minutes. I'm glad to see folks getting some $ for things like this. I'dp prob do it myself if I had the time and resources.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
alot of people in my apartment complex gives me their cans and sometimes i make 100/month just by taking cans in. and yes people in my complex are a bunch of drunks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts