Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
761 Posts
Those look pretty nice - I'm still using the kids old round nose safety scissors - they are actually stainless steel and still pretty sharp. A lot better idea than using a knife.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
Stainless steel kitchen scissors @Walmart $5.00. Works like a charm!

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
What would be a simple item to bleed the fish out into? A 5-gallon bucket? Looking for a simple option.
5 gallon works good, just be carefull though- they get p*ssed and thrash water everywhere which could cause a mess.

a buddy of mine uses a stringer off the side of his boat and that seems to work good as well,

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
I cut mine, and bleed them out right in the cooler. It makes a mess for the cooler, but it cleans up well at home. I have a friend who hooked up a drainage hose to his cooler and he washes it as he goes with the wash-down hose. Less mess to clean at home. But hard on the ice.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Started using the wife's Poultry Shears till she found them missing one day.

Then bought my own for $7.00 at some kitchen display at a local food mart, GREAT-works like a charm.

Nik

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would be a simple item to bleed the fish out into? A 5-gallon bucket? Looking for a simple option.
after removing the hook(s), i give 'em a whack upside the head with my "fish thumper", cut their gills, turn them head down in a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of lake water. keeps the thrashin' to a minimum. also works on rowdy fishing partners if they start tanglin' my lines :D (the thumpin', not cuttin' them of course! )

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
They still bleed out after you kill 'em with the bonker?

I've used scissors for a long time now...works great. I've also used the live well with about 4" of water in it...works great too. Occasionally you have to change the water, but that is as easy as pulling the drain plug.

We like to do this when things slow a bit...we feel that we are establishing a chum line behind the boat that walleyes cannot resist...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Dang Clark what rock you been hiding under??

River fishing I use scissors. I always forget them on the boat so I go caveman on them and rip them with my fingers. We normally pitch them over the side on a stringer while they bleed out, then ice them.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They still bleed out after you kill 'em with the bonker?

I've used scissors for a long time now...works great. I've also used the live well with about 4" of water in it...works great too. Occasionally you have to change the water, but that is as easy as pulling the drain plug.

We like to do this when things slow a bit...we feel that we are establishing a chum line behind the boat that walleyes cannot resist...
BFG,
yes they bleed like crazy when you cut the gills even after bonking them. I'm not sure that I actually kill them....but they sure don't thrash much afterwards. If you get 4 or 5 fish in a bucket and they start thrashing around, it can make a real mess, especially steelies.

·
Set The Hook`
4,215 Posts
all weve ever done is used a knife or scissors.....cut the gils and threw em in the livewell....they thrash for a few minutes then it kind of keeps them calm when most the blood has came out...then all u gotta do is every so often when fishing is slow just let the water out and refill the livewell and ur good....i still cant believe people dont think it makes a difference bleeding and not bleeding them out.....blows my mind

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I'll post these again for the non believers. Top fillet is from a bled walleye. The bottom fillet is from a non bled walleye. I used a seven gallon bucket with a screw on lid for years for the bleeding. Any restaurant or pool supply store will have them.

·
29 Posts
I love this site, the opportunities to learn about my favorite sport are limitless! I am over 50 years old and have been fishing walleye since I was 6 and I have never heard of bleeding the walleye out. What is the advantage and what exactly are you cutting? I mean, I understand you are cutting gills but are you removing them or just cutting into them? I've never had any issues with my fillets but I am always open to a new idea.

John

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
As for your other question....you just snip, cut, or rip the gills. No need to remove them, just a quick cut. Some guys cut the throat but I find the gills much easier. It is amazing how much blood they have. I'll dig around and see if I can find a "red ice" pic from this winter.

The biggest advantage is less mess and sliding around on the cleaning table, in addition a whiter looking fillet as Het posted.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Do you do this for all fish you keep? My cousins in Texas bleed their CC's by cutting below I think its the anal fin. They said the meat is whiter and tastes better too. Personally I don't like CC but that is one of their favorites.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts