Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out 630-900 tonight threw rooster tails, buzzbaits, twister tails, and some jitterbugs with not even a bump. Switched to some 3 inch salt tubes stuffed with 1/16 ounce jig heads and it was on! Wound up with 11 smallies smalles was 13 inches and 4 nice rockbass. Biggest smallie was pushin 18 and fat! All fish were in cover right along side weed beds or log jams nothing from the current. I strongly suggest getting out if ya can. Just stay out of my spot haha.

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. I was out on the downtown pool and we couldn't get anything going. Ended up with two short fish.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
caught 12 smallies 2 rockies and 1 channel about 5 lbs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I made it out this Saturday as well. Fished for a little under 3 hours. Managed 10 smallies and 4 rock bass. Only smallie of note was about 16 in. All rock bass were caught on a sweet beaver in current. Smallies were in current and in tailwater. Smallies were caught on a buzzbait (had a few short strikes on this as well and lost one at my feet), senko, rooster tail, and tube. Threw a rebel wee craw for awhile with no luck. i know a lot of people swear by this lure, but I have never caught a fish on it. All in all, it was a good tune up for a little fishing trip to Canada this week.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
Threw a rebel wee craw for awhile with no luck. i know a lot of people swear by this lure, but I have never caught a fish on it.
I threw a rebel craw for about 30-40 mins on Saturday as well. I didn't get a bite? I to have never caught a fish on this bait. What's the deal with this thing? I know a lot of people have caught fish on it, but I can't buy a bite with that thing.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
What's the deal with this thing? I know a lot of people have caught fish on it, but I can't buy a bite with that thing.
I am one of the folks who swears by it in the river. My question if it's not yielding results would be where are you throwing it? Try to find smaller pools, throw the lure to the back side of the pool and give it a jerk + pause. 99% of the smallies I catch on the craw take it on that first pause.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
Good point, I probably didnt throw it in the best smallie areas the other day(though that is where I caught my best fish of the day so go figure?). I also mostly straight retrieved with some pauses thrown in if it hit bottom. I'll try your technique the next time in and around some riffles and other small pools with current.

·
Banned
798 Posts
good to see that you finally slammed some hogs. Things are starting to turn around.

btw Ohiohunter42015, did you try to call me this weekend? I was camping. Fun times.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Congrats on a great outing.
Lots of fishing for me this weekend too. Seems it was time to toss more plastics, which is exactly what I did.
GREAT fishing weekend. Very nice. Saw a couple of dudes who I thought might be from here.
If that was you under the bridge and I showed you that wierd looking plastic (I was dragging a blue kayak), please keep that one and the where it was working under your hat.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it wasn't me that called I don't think.

Just an fyi all those fish came out of that spot I was tellin you about. I am headed there now!

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went from 1030 to 2 today. Got 8 rock bass and 1 dink smallie. Midday is slow but still happening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mmmm. delicious rock bass. We need to get out. I need to the dump the woman, get more fishing time, then pick her back up in the winter....:D
I started getting into some rock bass today, are you serious about them being tasty? I never tried em and probably won't, but just curious. I just started fishing streams this year for the first time, except for coho and steelhead I practice cpr.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will teach you to bow hunt then you will never need one. I will be back at the river in at about 9 tonight if ya got free time.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hit it last night at 930. Got 2 rockies and another dink smallie. Gonna have to hit a new hole they all have sore lips around this one.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Hit it last night at 930. Got 2 rockies and another dink smallie. Gonna have to hit a new hole they all have sore lips around this one.
i'm sure all the changing weather conditions are not helping the river. With all this rain/clouds/fronts ect, I usually take some time off. On the third day of things returning to normal sunny conditions, fishing will be on.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are probably right got one rockie tonight 8-4 and he spit the hook. Shad were getting chased all over the place.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Managed to get out last evening 8/5. Landed 2 average smallies on plastics about 7 pm at the beginning of our wade. Didn't land another fish until our return trip and revisited the previous spot. My buddy landed a few rockbass and a dink smallie on a shad pattern bomber just before it got dark. Did see a lot of bait fish and crawdads in the shallows.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts