close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scioto Saturday #2(someone already took my title!)

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Jul 21, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Had a great day with fellow OGF'er shwookie, we did very good until about AM or so then the bite vanished, besides a few fish after that the only thing we pulled from the water was shwookie, green rocks are slippery dude!!! After I found out he was OK, then I had a good laugh at his expense, but I know he would do it for me when my time comes. Allot of good Sm's, only took one pic, is it me or is that guy holding the fish gorgeous!

Attached Files:

2. Great lookin fish and shining knees...............;)

Capt Hook

3. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

4. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

lol .....

I had a blast, saw a lot of nice water, caught some nice fish.
    I just need to take some different tackle and spare clothes.....
    Look forward to next time.

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

He's achieved celebrity status on this forum :D :D :D

Im fairly cetain this is the same fish in all three pics, I've caught him on at least two other occasions as well. He's just shy of 18" and has a tell-tale notch on the top of his head that is very distinctive...

BTW all 3 pics are taken from the exact same location...Thank god for CPR!

[​IMG]

6. shwookie

acklac7, if we are talking about the same fish, the area where that one was caught anyways, we caught several good sized ones there.
    None bigger, but no dinks either. My largest one was just smaller than mikes by an inch or so. He also caught more.
    We also both caught our first fish within maybe 10 - 15 minutes of hitting the water. That makes getting up at 4;45 sorta worth it.

7. StuckAtHome

Yea, I'm exhausted right now, its 8pm and I'm in serious need of a nap, I'm old remember! They sure do look alike, and I lost 2 or more nice smallies( again) and had another HUGE Sm flash at my lure, the first mile or so of our trip is the best of the 6 miles we covered. The nice thing about the Scioto compared to our other local waters is its deep even with the low flow, and I can tell its pretty healthy by the amount of mussel shells EVERYWHERE and pods of bait fish, didn't see many craws but wasn't really looking, and boy is the water warm! Too bad most of the river's banks are man made, takes away from the looks for me and can't help the fishery( I do like the rock slides though). Had a blast though, and I carry spare clothes( and one of everything else!), we will be kayaking again, this time my turn to pick the river...

EDIT: How's this picture of the same fish?

Attached Files:

8. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Thats the way it is with that hole: if you get there prior to 7:30(am) your almost guaranteed a 15"+ Smallie within the first couple casts. If you don't get one within the first 5-min they aren't hungry: you might as well pack up and go home!

I've also noticed the massive pods of shad in that section, they must have had a really good spawn this year, hopefully that won't hurt the bite come fall..

Nice "test" pic..LOL...And yea, thats def. the same fish, note the dark vertical bands. Did he give you a HELL of a fight too??? That SOB got the most air I have EVER seen from a freshwater fish. I was out wading and he damn near cleared my forehead on his final attempt to shake the hook (shook his head at least 6 times while suspended in the air..Tarpon style, absolutely unbelieveable)

[​IMG]

9. StuckAtHome

He fought rather well, first good fish on braid I might add, he pulled me around a few times, and it was probably quite funny watching me trying to not lose him and try to reach the net behind me, I'm cussing the darn thing, swhookie is paddling over to help, I give up on the net(rearranged the net AFTER that fish, never got to use it again, no fish worth the net after that) and landed it by hand. And I rigged my cranks to have this treble on the back hook, I think so far it helps on the hook ups, it always is in the fishes mouth, and being red might help too, next is getting them with feathers.
    Mike

Attached Files:

10. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Sounds like good fishing. Way to go guys! I hope to get out a couple times for the fall bite. I am "stuck@home" now. New arrival comes in about 2 to 3 weeks.

CG

11. StuckAtHome

I hope you keep that one,lol. Congrats on being an almost dad and I'm man enough to say its the best thing that ever happened to me, nothing against my wife and she would say the same thing, it beats Sm fishing by light years, even a 25" SM! You might forget your wedding day(not night), but you will ALWAYS remember the day your kids were born, the second you lay eyes on him or her, your "hooked" for life. Again congrats, let me know when so I can light a stogie in his or her honor!
    Mike

PS- PM me when you can get out, the cigars on me!

12. shwookie

pfft.
    whatever.

13. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

That's awesome to see that same fish in the same hole. Especially with all the pressure that area gets from stringer and basket toting meat hounds. Catch and release truly is the way to go for bass. I took the middle pic. Years ago on a different stream a buddy of mine caught a 19 incher with a messed up tail shaped like a W. We took a picture, and let him go. The next year a different buddy caught old W-tail in the same hole. Took a picture and let him go. He was still only 19 inches. That hole is still called W-tails. Catch and release WORKS!!

14. StuckAtHome

I like to CPR all my fish too, but if I wanna keep one I reserve the right to fry him up, but only to a SM if I hurt it somehow AND most importantly I had a way to keep him fresh until home, which I never do. I hope most of the fish we catch live thru the stress of being caught, and the pics above seem to show we are doing something right, man thats a big time pressured river! I'm yakking Sunday morning(have to take the kids to church sat. evening the wifey says, and I ALWAYS do what she says!) at my home river I guess the nut, doesn't seem to get the pressure some of these other places get. Also I got a response from the national EPA regarding runoff from a local company that flows into Big Walnut, very bad for the river, and they are appointing a local inspector to look into this for me, I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested.
    Mike

15. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

be careful mike that(company) may hook you up with a heavy pair of shoes.lol

16. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

i still dont see how you are positively identifying this fish to be the same one everyone has caught

17. StuckAtHome

Thats why I'm being careful and the whole nine yards....:D :D

How have you been junky? Need to hook up before the summer is out.
    Mike

18. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

Mike: been floating around my honey hole every sat or sunday evening or @darby during the week. I'm free the weekend of the 10th if your up for some tubeing.(kids birthday and on-call for work the next 2 weeks)

19. StuckAtHome

Sounds good to me, you'll have to remind me, I'm prone to forget with the meds I'm on,lol.