Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have waded many local flows around Columbus and have kayaked the Scioto a few times in parts that seemed too deep to wade in, but now I am wondering if there are any stretches of the Scioto river around Columbus that are safe/possible to wade in. If anybody could recommend general locations that would be ok to wade in, then that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Greenlawn dam always has tons of people out in the water just below it. I’ve seen people standing 30 or so feet apart all the way across the river almost. About 2 years ago now they had Greenlawn road closed down (I work on Greenlawn) because I think it was 2 teenagers drowned directly under the bridge where they fell into some deep holes. People do it, but I never would.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Wading South of Greenlawn Dam (aside from the pool below the spillway) is strongly not recommended under any conditions.

That said, there are some spots you can wade up North. Immediately South of Griggs is a great stretch to wade, as is immediately South of O'Shaughnessy.

When it comes to wading the Scioto, you're almost always wading relatively short stretches (starting at riffles), then hugging the bank for a bit (or a while) before getting back in. In my experience you just need to use your head and exercise caution when transitioning from riffle areas to deeper pools. When the current slows down, and the water is up to your waist, get out and walk the bank until you find a riffle. There really aren't that many dangerous drop off's, like you'll find South of Greenlawn.

Might want to look into wading the Olentangy, too. She's much more shallow and wadable.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Once during low water we were hiking around near where Rt. 56 crosses near Chillicothe. We could see a lot of washouts where the water at normal levels would go from knee deep to 8 feet or so of depth, in one step.

Plenty of snags, too.

·
cheeryo
927 Posts
another thing to think about is braided line, I waded the muskingem river a few years ago and I couldn't walk 10 ft without getting wrapped up in line that people had cut, it would be easy to trip or get tangled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts