close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scioto River Last Night

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by bronzebackyac, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Got a chance to fish on the mighty Scioto last night just for a couple hours. I heard that the flats were spawning so i did not expect much. Got to the spot about 8pm and threw out a live gill. As I was puuting my other pole out I got a hit. Pulled in a small Flathead. About ten minutes later I got another fish on live gill and when I get it to the bank my other pole starts screaming and almost goes into the river. So I drop my 1st pole that had a 5lb channel on it and try to set the hook on my other pole, but I was too late. my buddy helped land the channel. Lots of action in about 15 minutes and then nothing the rest of the night. Had a few bites on cut gills no takers. Had a great time and can't wait to try this spot after the spawn. This just further proves you can not catch fish unless you go out. The hell with the spawn. You can still catch fish. Hope you guys have a great weekend on the water.

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

In our area, the cats, both channels and flats seem to be coming off the spawn..........The last week or so, we have caught some female channels that you can tell have spawned. Just last night/early this morning, I caught a nice Flattie that by looking at the fish and its head size looks as thought it had to have just come off spawn. My guess is that is was a female. TCBA has the pics so, as soon as he either posts or he sends me the pics, I will post. hopefully the pics come out ok. there were also a few nice channels caught. The one was 5 lbs something and was skinny. If it was a month or 2 ago, I would have guessed it would have weighed 6 or more

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Hey Bronze I'm thinking about catfishing Sun if ya wanna come down my way and hit the river

4. bronzebackyac

You hittin the river? I may want to do that. It depends if i can get a float organized for this weekend. I may be floating Paint creek on Sat. or Sun. I'll let you know. I'd love to check out your roundtown spot.

5. BigChessie

I have not had a chance to hit where I wanna go but some guys were catching some flatheads last week. I gotta go scout one of my hunting spots and see if the fish are rolling. I checked the river this morning and it was up a good bit. I'll keep an eye on it and see if keeps rising.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Good job on the cats, lets hope they are comming off the nest!

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Bryan, forget the stinking Walleyes, and get over here!

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am hoping they are coming off the nest too! The fish I just caught was not in a nesting area(no wood cover or any other cover at all), so I am thinking that in our area at least that some females may be done doing there thing :B

9. bronzebackyac

This area last night was just 30 yards down stream from a very deep hole with alot of snags and structure. We were on the side that was deep (cut bank)and in an eddy that it created. My buddy that took me there fished in the deep hole with the structure and did not catch anything. They seemed to be on the edge of the eddy almost in the current.

10. BigChessie

Sounds like the spot I'm gonna try. Upstream from a hole and off to the side of the main river in a eddy area.