Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Scioto this evening for about 1.5 hours and really got into the smallies and white bass. I was going after eyes, but I could not even get my bait deep enough without getting slammed by a white bass or a smallie. I got my PB white bass at 16.5". It was a hoss. Only two were under 12". Nice fish. The smallies were also all over 12" and the largemouth I caught was 17". All fish other than the lmb came on a twister and jig combo. White, 1/8 oz jigheads. The largemouth came on a shad rap. Here's the pic of the Fish Ohio White Bass.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes I agree. I'll definately be out there this evening. Thanks for the congrats, that thing fought like an idiot. Has anyone found any written information about the hybrid striper program in griggs/oshay? A few of these fish were much more elongated than normal. While they were smaller than a nice hybrid, they didn't resimble white bass I'm used to. I had two white bass sky out of the water like smallmouth right after hooked. That was pretty cool to see.

For those PMing about the exact location...it is not important. Any tailwater on the Scioto will produce fish today. The fact that you have the exact spot doesn't gaurentee a fish. Specialization in technique is much more important than location. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out anyway with the aid of google earth and half a brain...

·
Hack Fisherman
116 Posts
Nice fish Mushi. That is a monster WB.

Sent you a PM but not for your location! Need a little help with one of my own.:confused:

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Thanks Mushijobah. Great info. Wish I would have had more time to fish yesterday. I have responsibilities this evening, but I have a feeling they're going to get blown off because I feel the river calling.

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
Nice sea kittens!

Acklac posted something this year about Griggs/O'shay stocking hybrids this spring. Im still yet to read something from ODOW though.

How was the flow/color on the Scioto, Mushi?

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flow was a tad up, color was good and green. It's prime fellas! I better not see anyone at my spot tonight ;)

·
Banned
798 Posts
Flow was a tad up, color was good and green. It's prime fellas! I better not see anyone at my spot tonight ;)
can I get EXACT locations to all your Spots. I need some new honey holes and so do all the lurkers!!!! jk, nice report dude, good to see you're still out making us all jealous. During our sunday wade, your excellent fishing came up once or twice. We don't know how you do it.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can I get EXACT locations to all your Spots. I need some new honey holes and so do all the lurkers!!!! jk, nice report dude, good to see you're still out making us all jealous. During our sunday wade, your excellent fishing came up once or twice. We don't know how you do it.
Haha very funny! As far as my excellent fishing, I don't know about that. There are plenty of guys on this site that can vouch and say that I have no idea what I'm doing:D

I'll report on what happens tonight and try to take more pictures.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
Haha very funny! As far as my excellent fishing, I don't know about that. There are plenty of guys on this site that can vouch and say that I have no idea what I'm doing:D

I'll report on what happens tonight and try to take more pictures.
Hey, if you can fish Wednesday night the USGS site dictates(they dumped a bunch of water) we should hit a stretch of that toothy critter laden creek very soon. I can't get out tonight and calling for rain Tuesday. Let me know.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Critter that sounds like a plan. I have an idea on where we should go. Evening bit is hot there for a couple toothy species..

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
I'll be interested in how that goes. Haven't roamed that area in a while. I'd love to hear about toothy fishies out of there. You can even lie if you want, but I'd rather you stick some lips.

I'll be west of you guys with the kid this evening. You guys wanna go inch for inch against me and the Andyboy fora Coke? I should tell you though, he has threatened to bring along a seign and a bobber.

Have fun, fellas!
You're funny! I had to cancel on him as I got hot water tank issues and a wet basement. No fishing for me today.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately our trip is a no-go. We'll make it out soon though! As far as toothy critters go, the one variety shows itself at least 4 times a trip...with only one decent fish out of all on average. The other variety on the otherhand is quite elusive...I have only seen 6 in all my years fishing that stream. I began seeing them in 2004....which may be a function of age/experience. One of the individuals is the one I caught in 2007 fishing for...the other toothy variety.

I'll probably be out to the white bass spot or a smallie spot this evening. If you and your fish prodigy are not yaking, I'de love to come say hello! Inch for inch....no thanks. Quantity is better than quality for me as long as a few good ones are in there for good measure. That goes for a lot of things in life :D

PS I was back at the place of white bass on Monday. We were there a bit earlier and the bite wasn't so hot. I only got 2 white bass and a crappier. TheDunkle got 3 smallies and a few white bass. BobcatJB got a few white bass. We hit up another spot later and we managed a few smallies and crappies.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Mushi,
Sorry dude, busy night last night. Deck washing and baseball games...
I did sneak out for an hour or so at the end of the night.
Weekend is kind of full with crap...actually I'm jumping out of a plane on Sunday with my Mom (my Xmas present to her)

So next week I'll be dying to get out. Yakking for sure, but I got plenty of those. If you want to go, just holla.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Are you still shooting for a Stucky free summer Dude? This weekends shot, next weekend I should be over my cycle obsession and ready to get the yaks wet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts