close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scioto PM 8/18

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by topwaterdevil, Aug 19, 2008.

1. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

Hit the Scioto for about an hour and a half in the Dublin area tonight. Caught numerous rock bass, a nice bluegill, several smallies (largest at 14") and a 13" saug. Plastics have been the go-to recently. Cranks have been a lot slower and resulted in more hang-ups while the topwater bite has been dead. The fishing seems to be better on the nights when they are letting water through the Oshay dam as it keeps the flow moving and the fish active.

2. i thought oshay's dam was an over flow dam? maybe I'm wrong.

One thing I can agree with is that plastics are the go too bait right now. That's all I've been using for the last two months. Yet to get a skunk while throwing soft plastics.

how was the water up there? last time I was there it was pretty dry in spots.

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Oshay has control over water release. It will fluctuate to serve Columbus' water during peak periods. They are also working on the water supply dam down at 910 Dublin Rd. Low water conditions during work hours.

4. The water was clear and low yesterday. Almost seemed to be flowing backwards..??? Really slow flowing around 161.

The afternoon bite was surprisingly much better than I thought it would be.

Light blue 1/8 oz roostertail with a silver blade still working for me.

Beautiful day!!!

Did better yesterday than I did Sunday on the Rocky.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. topwaterdevil

headed out again right now. water level appears to be drawn up again, but might be on its way down. I'll report later.

6. topwaterdevil

Did well again tonight. I think I got 7 smallies and 5 rock bass from a 50 yard stretch in an hour and a half. Still on plastics. All released.

7. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Mushi forgot to mention that Griggs also has the ability to regulate the discharge/flow of the Scioto via the "low flow" pipes, although they typically aren't on nearly as often as Oshay's discharge tube. (Ever since they started work on the lowhead those blasted pipes have been on all the time :mad: )

As Mushi pointed out Griggs has been keeping the flow down during the day, then releasing water during the night. All while oshay releases during the day and shuts down during the night (at least thats how the cycle seems to be playing out). At any rate my honey holes are so dry a 5" soft craw couldn't bring in a keeper Smallie :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mushi any insight as to what exactly is going on @ "water works" and when the project is scheduled to be completed?

8. That's good info acklac7. Thanks.

Makes more sense now that the flow had picked up when I waded in after work yesterday evening.

5 sm and 6 rb in less than an hour same roostertail. Gonna try the soft plastics and see if I get more size tonight. C&R of course ;)

btw....any suggestions of the best tool to cut the barbs off my hooks?

9. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I use a pointed dremel grinding stone to trim barbs/sharpen hooks, a thin file from any hardware store works just as well too.

And not one hit in an hour and a half tonight, water had dropped a foot or so and was going at a trickle. All I can say is it better pour next week....

10. Darby Rat

Darby Rat Those BLASTED darn bass

The Columbus Division of Power and Water is doing several rehab projects at the Dublin Rd. water plant lowhead dam. 1.)installing a new water intake self-cleaning raker screen (eliminates manual cleaning of debris on the water intake screen), 2.)building a new lowhead dam, replacing the old one, 3.)building a boat ramp above the water intake (to be used ONLY by city personnel to access the intake for any problems), 4.) paving the parking lot.
    The dam should be completed soon, possibly within a month. The whole project should be done by the end of this year. Fishing below the new dam will be permitted as in the past.

11. i fished the dowtntown pool this am and it was still low but its been about the same for a couple weeks now, we need rain...but the water did have lil bit of stain to it, i was confused at first but now i see, doin work up there at the lowhead. anyways ended up with 7-8 lm all small in the 9-12 range