close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scioto Park at Dusk

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by kwohlwe@columbus.rr.com, May 26, 2008.

1. I went up to Scioto Park yesterday afternoon, and ended up wading across the river just to get away from the noisy picnickers. The water was just over waist-high, moving pretty good, and as muddy as I've ever seen it there. Got three smallies in a pool off the west bank, one on a white 3" tube, the other on smoke-colored rattle grub jigs. Not alot of action for me, though a trio of fisherman in a jonboat went by, moving very quickly, seemingly catching them at will. What surprised me is that they'd hit a hole and pull a bunch of fish out, but kept going. So, as the sun came down, I started to get cold and thought I should get out of the water. I made my way back to the very south edge of the park to dry off, and decided to take a few casts. I hit a few more dink smallies, and after about 20 minutes, the water was crazy with fish eating mosquitos. I've never had an experience fishing like this, but it got to a point where every cast was getting hit. Now, I wasn't able to pull them all in, and they weren't all monsters, but I stopped counting at 12. If that park didn't close at dusk, I might still be there :) Highlights included a 10" largemouth, a nice plump green sunfish (I guess I don't see those guys very often, so it's fun), and a whopper smallie. The fish all looked really nice and healthy.

2. scito park is my new favorite fishing holes, and it's two minutes from my office.

Thanks for the detailed report, I'm hitting up SP on thursday night to slam some smallies!!!!!

3. are you talking about the new ramps ect. off of whittier?

4. the scito park I'm talking about is off of Route 257 before you get to the Columbus Zoo. It's in Dublin. You can start wading directly from the park, all the way to the Emerald Parkway Bridge and then the 270 Bridge. Tons of decent smallies and big rock bass in there.

5. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

Just to clarify - there is private property on the south side of the park, so it could not be done legally without the landowners' permission. Float, yes. Wade, no.

6. Topwater,

Can you be more specific about the private property? I fish there from time to time and haven't had any issues, but also don't want to infringe/trespass.

I have read other posts on the private property issue and it seems that the water itself is public property meaning if you can float on it you are fine, but if you touch the riverbed you are trespassing?

I assume the same issue applies north of Scioto Park? Again, never had any trouble, but I do want to know what is right and wrong.

Have you had any issues in this area?

Thanks!

7. SAME HERE. Never had any problems fishing anywhere near scito park. Actually had a few home owner come down to see what I was fishing for, and one home owner actual gave me some tips as to where he catches nice smallies. All locals seem to be nice once you're not destroying anything, and just fishing.

8. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

There used to be a deck in that park, and it would flood once in a while.

Not sure but I think they removed it to discourage feeding the waterfowl.

[​IMG]

9. don't think that deck is there. Didn't see it last friday that's for sure.

10. I work about 2 minutes from Scioto Park and the fishing is great. It does get a little deep south of the park on the west bank. I use a 4wt fly rod with poppers and the fish love em! I too have had people that live on the east bank that have offered suggestions on what to use and where to fish.

11. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

As of last summer (I have not checked this year) there was a private property no trespassing sign at the southern limit of the park. It appears to be private residences and maybe a business or two from the southern limit of the park all the way to Emerald Parkway. As long as the landowners are agreeable, you're probably fine, but be aware that it is private property.

I think the City of Dublin (park) property stretches farther to the north than it does to the south, but I would assume that it is the same situation north of the park. However, I don't remember seeing private property signs on the north side like I have on the south.

Yeah, the deck has been out for a couple of years. It used to always be flooded over in the spring like in the pic below.

12. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

can anyone comment on the catfishing @ scioto park?

13. I find it the best after a rain when the water is slightly high, seems as though they stack below the riffles and wait for stuff to wash down to them.

14. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Yes the deck has been gone for two or three years. I rub elbows with the Dublin park people once in a while so I can ask.

*grabs banjo* before there was Zoombeezi Bay...

In the 1960s and 1970s we used to go to a swimming pool on that site. The pool itself was where the parking lot and butterfly garden are now. Before they replaced the shelter house recently, the front sidewalk was still the original from the pool, and you could very faintly still read NO RUNNING painted on the concrete. The shelter house was on the original slab for the rest rooms/dressing rooms, and you could still see where the walls were, including the bathroom stalls and the filled holes where the toilets were. There was a 20-foot wet slide which was a big deal, and a snack shack where the road comes down. I think they also had a campground to the north along the river but I never went there.

I can still smell coconut tanning cream and hear late-60s pop music blaring when I go there.

Here's a shot from 2002, I was on the way home from photographing at oshay when I stopped at Scioto. I put the camera on a tripod and used the time delay, this is a long exposure and you can see how the motion of water bugs has blurred the surface.

Attached Files: