close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scioto/Darby Smallies?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ski, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Anybody been out fishing for smallies lately on the scioto or Darby? I plan on heading out in the next few days.
    ski

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

We are planning a canoe trip on the upper Scioto for Saturday. We will be fishing North of st rt36. When I say we it is me and my 6 year old son so we will see how much fishing we actually do! :D Actually he is pretty excited as I told him he could use lures all day. He likes to cast but you don't want to be standing right beside him if you know what I mean! :p

3. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I've been fishing for smallies almost every night on the scioto. Last saturday evening I caught a 17.5, and last night I caught 2 that went 15. The first one was taken on a tube, and the others on a buzzbait.

4. Been catching a few...but it doesnt seem to be as good as it has been the last couple years.

5. I have been fishing it from 5th ave North to the zoo and not had the usual luck. In previous years I have done very well, however, i seem to catch less and less every year. I have been wade fishing this area for over 12 years. I remember going out and catching 20-40 smallmouth in 2-3 hours during the early 90's. Now, i can only manage a few. Probably can be attributed to the fishermen i see carrying stringers of tiny smallmouth and rock bass. What losers.
    I did come upon a new "secret lure" that I ordered today and should get by the beginning of next week. I can't wait to try "it". I will also be heading to Pennsylvania in early OCt to fish the Allegheny River for huge smallies. They really put the feedbag on the end of sept and beginning of Oct. 3-5lbs smallies!!!

6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Dont worry Ski...the smallies are still in the scioto...fishingredhawk can back me up :).and you still can catch 15+ in an hour....try hiking for 10-15 minutes...then fishing.

7. There is no doubt they are still in there...I just dont think the numbers are there that were in previous years...last year I could go to a few spots and average catching 15-25 fish in roughly 2-3 hrs of fishing with a good mixture of better fish....meaning out of lets say 20 fish 10-12 fish would be in the 12-14" class...maybe 2-3 would go 15-18" and needless to say a handful of runts..this year Im catching more runts than the better ones...I think pressure has taken a tole...to many stringers full of dinks being taken...if you guys are getting on fish then I congratulate you on a job well done because the many long time smallie fisherman I have talked to the last few months are saying its been a off year.

8. I agree with smallie chaser. I have no choice but to walk a little more and tryto find some new holes. Darn!! ;-)
    ski

9. And let me ad that I have no problem walking a little more to get to some of these holes...its just a shame that its came to that...there is a size and bag limit on the Darby and it should be that way on the river as well...I was talking to a friend of mine at work the other day about this very subject... on the back of your fishing regs there is a phone number where you can leave the game warden for any given county a voice message..I say take it one step farther and give them all cell phones and list the numbers where if you are fishing and see guys breaking the law give him a ring and say there is a couple guys down here who need a education ;) some people are sure to disagree and thats cool...I just hate to see what was once a great fishery go to pot...not just the river I have seen it happen in lakes as well.