Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
WHODAMAN
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hit the scioto up last night by my house for about 2 hours. Water was down about 1ft from last week and was dirty as usual. Started with Buzzbait and got one really nice explosion, which I got excited and set the hook to early with and missed the fish :) Nothing else on Buzz, so then I reached in my pocket for my bag of spinnerbaits, which were no longer in my pocket; but in the backseat of my car. So, switched to crank bait and nailed a 12" saugeye and then a 12" smallie. After about 45 minutes, I switched to a pumpkinseed tube and nailed another smallie(about same size as others) and that was it for the night. All fish were caught in riffles. The really nice hit that I got on buzz was in slack water. As I was leaving, I put my hand in the water and felt that it seemed cool. The buzzbait produces much better in warmer water. I'm not going to get to fish this weekend, as we are heading out of town. Might hit up Shreve lake with my wife for some LM. Good luck to all that fish the streams this weekend. The Tangy is calling my name. I think I'll head out there next time. I'll have to check the water temperature. I need some buzzbait action.
anyways, take care and have a safe holiday weekend.

·
Banned
798 Posts
solid report. good to see you're still chipping away at the scioto. Next time you go to the tangy, hit me up. I'm in.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I wouldn't worry about water temps. No stream in ohio (or for that matter in the 48 contiguous states) are too cold for a buzzbait right now. I usually like to see water temps around 60 before I start throwing a buzzbait. Regardless of where you are fishing on the scioto or other area streams, it's well above 60 degrees.

What I would recommend is to give a topwater plug a try. Just remember to bring some pliers with you to handle those treble hooks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts