Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out kayaking with my son tonight. We didn't bother getting on the water until 7 or so, which proved to be good timing.
We paddled, caught crawdads, and fished. My son is 9 and just sponges up whatever knowledge he can get his hands on regarding fishing and hunting.
Tonight we learned about aquatic insects, how to tie a palomar knot, staying out of poison ivy, skipping lures under trees, and fishing "push" water...which turned out to be where all the fish were.
I caught a handful or so right in the heart of the riffles on tubes and spinnerbaits...and he caught two handfuls in teh push water on tiny torpedos as the sun went down.
I constantly found myself stopping to watch him and admiring how self sufficient he has become. He was getting busted by fish but not hooking up...he was giving the old Bill Dance hookset before they actually grabbed it..which in a way impressed me as to his speed. So I was getting ready to suggest he wait for the weight of the fish before setting the hook....then, fish on. He figured it out on his own. I was impressed.

Great, great fun night. I have no idea what our actual fish count was or how big the fish were. Didn't matter. Just Awesome. Going back tomorrow...

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Thats awesome Andy! Having your son with you sharing the same sport is a great feeling. My 12 year old enjoys the kayak trips we take, he's a great jig fishermen, but enjoys being in the creek better than anything. I might outfish him but he will out frog, turtle, crawdad me everytime, and the kid likes snakes!!!!

You just gotta watch them outfishing you, they remember that forever!!! trust me.

Stuck

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
Now THAT is a fishing report. That one about the poison ivy is a really, really good lesson. Sounds like you and your son had a blast. Very cool Andy.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, the boy likes his critters, including snakes, which is where we part. I don't mind them and realize their value, I just don't want to interact with them.:D

He's got a rockin frog catching trick. I'll have to try to video it tonight.
He takes a bare circle hook and uses no bait. He sneaks up behind the frog, reaches out his pole, and lays that bare hook right on their nose. Then the frog uses it's tongue to grab the hook into its mouth, and he's "hooked up".
I bet he's caught 50 frogs that way; it's a friggin' riot.

We'll have to team up, Stuck. We were just out over by my house last night.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
enjoy while you can. In a few years I'm sure fishing will take a back seat to girls and boobs. Great report.
I couldn't fault him if it did.
I mean fishing is a blast and all, but it doesn't come close to your first pair of boobies.
I say fish in the mornings and chase girls in the evenings. In life, everything has a balance.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Optimum fishing/woman chasing summer schedule:

Fishing: 3pm-830pm
Shower: 9pm-930pm
Girls/Other Activities: 1030pm-4am
4th Meal: 4am-430am
Sleep: 430am-1230pm
Recover: 1230pm-3pm
Fishing: 3pm-830pm

Oh how I will miss the days of no responsibility:(

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL!!
That was my almost exact summer schedule when I was single.

I wish I had a dollar for every time the "4th meal" was left burning in the oven while I passed out.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
LOL!!
That was my almost exact summer schedule when I was single.

I wish I had a dollar for every time the "4th meal" was left burning in the oven while I passed out.
That's why they make Taco Bell!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great stuff Andyman - isn't it funny how watching the kid do something like that makes it feel like you're doing something right as a parent? My dearly departed father always said he was amazed that at five years old he thought I was much smarter than he was. I never thought that was true, but now I watch my son and think he is way smarter than I will ever be. It's the sappy circle of life thing.

You guys might have read the posts about my five year old where I point out that fishing with your kid is the best therapy, ever. If everyone took their kids fishing it would put an end to the shrink business as we know.

·
Banned
798 Posts
I couldn't fault him if it did.
I mean fishing is a blast and all, but it doesn't come close to your first pair of boobies.
I say fish in the mornings and chase girls in the evenings. In life, everything has a balance.
I wish I could have kids. If I was able, I would look forward to experiencing all life has to offer while raising a boy. You're a lucky man. I'm an uncle, but my brother and his wife had a girl.. Maybe she'll be a tom boy. lol

That's why they make Taco Bell!
That's why they make White Castle too. But if you eat Whities, you can't fish the next day. You might have stomach and digestion problems aka the squirts.....

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
The boy is aching to get out andy, now that we have bikes he thinks we will never fish again,lol. Or you guys could come out our way, great little creek, my boy explores it everyday, brought home a hellge the other night, that he wouldn't touch. Great to catch small fish, mostly SM and rockbass, but plenty of other critters to keep the boys happy for hours, plus we can drag chairs and have cold ones if we get bored.

·
Banned
578 Posts
"I mean fishing is a blast and all, but it doesn't come close to your first pair of boobies."

Count me in with the guys who got a smile from your report. I've got great memories from where you're at now...but, we've moved on to boobies in the priorities list. Thankfully, our days on the water were good enough when they were 10 that I can still get a little time with them when the girls ain't buggin'.

My oldest is 16, but he was still on board to go gill fishing last Sunday at a local gold mine. We brought home 42 nice ones and it didn't take 3 hours to do it. Right up his alley...he was back texting by noon. It took Wil 45 minutes to "feel" the take of an 8 inch gill while fishing a drop shot in 25 feet of water. But, due to his "training", he never got frustrated, and buckled down to figure out what the "secret" was. After that, he had a ball. I couldn't keep the second rod baited quick enough to catch up to him bringing in the one on the hook. The boy proved that he understood angling is far more than casting a line in the water exactly like you did the last time you enjoyed success...all the while expecting the same results. I'll take credit for that.

I smiled because you're gonna have that day, Andy. You're gonna compete with a boob...

Congrats... :D

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dam straight, brother. Nice to hear about kids like yours who have learned to actually fish. I'd expect no less from your spawn.;)

How are things over your way, anyhow? Tough biz right now.
I just might have to drive over and have you put me on some fish...I haven't been over that way in a couple years.
You still got that big river over there?....

·
Banned
578 Posts
Stay tuned. If Dan'l will play ball...I'd be tickled to see you come this way. As for the biz...farming looks a lot more attractive. :D

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL!
Well I hear there's some farm land for sale over my way. You got $21 mil? :D

I'd really like that. I'll bring the chicken, some suds...and I figure I owe you some gas money from all the u-turns.
Set it up. That'd be great. Dan'l is in the friggin' back of the boat though.;)

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
my lil guy is only @ 18months and i'm waiting til the time he can go fishin'.great story.anyways what red blooded american male doesn't appreciate a good set of boobies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts