Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Do work son.
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a friend say he uses scent spray / gels for steelies fly fishing. I used to use them for bass and cats, just wondering if you guys can recommend a brand or if its even worth the hassle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd say it's not worth the hassle. I think if you get the presentation looking right, that's more important than any gimmicks. I'm sure they'd be more apt to pick up a piece of chewed up bubblegum dead drifted properly, than an egg pattern covered in scent improperly drifted... Just my opinion.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
408 Posts
No doubt getting your presentation right is important, but if you overlook scent you're missing a huge piece of the puzzle. Ever wonder how steelhead can find and return to the river they were born in? Their sense of smell is so acute they can actually smell the subtle differences in each river. They have a better sense of smell than a bloodhound. Adding scent to your presentation always helps, and perhaps the most beneficial part of adding scent is that it helps to mask any negative cues that have contaminated your offering. Give them any kind of negative scent and they can and will use it against you

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can't use scent when fly fishing!

Fly fishing is an elite way to fish. By using scent it removes the purist essentials. You can only use flies that you tied also. Jeeeeesh!

·
multi species angler
4,374 Posts

Fly fishing is an elite way to fish. By using scent it removes the purist essentials. You can only use flies that you tied also. Jeeeeesh!
And using only materials that you harvested yourself.

lund 1775 pro v se

·
#PimpMyBucket
280 Posts
When I used to drift spawn bags I used to put steelhead/salmon scent, and casting spoons I would put UV trout scent on those too, been a while, just throw buggers into their teeth these days mostly.

·
Do work son.
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

LMAO:D

I usually use my hand-widdled 10'6" pole from a hickory spruce deep in the heart of the west virginian foothills and my hand braided line made from the hair of virgin dutch milk maids, so it will cancels out using scents on my flies

·
Registered
603 Posts
LMAO:D

I usually use my hand-widdled 10'6" pole from a hickory spruce deep in the heart of the west virginian foothills and my hand braided line made from the hair of virgin dutch milk maids, so it will cancels out using scents on my flies
Epic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts