Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OGF Parrot Head
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow hunters - was wondering what thought you might like to share:

1 - Scent control is a big issue - what do you do when you need to pee while on an all-day stand hunt? I know some guys just go, thinking that urine smells like urine regardless of source, others bottle it, or climb down and go some distance away to do their business. I know of 1 hunter that claims to have peed along the edge of an old logging road, and within a few days a scrape appeared at that location. So, bottle it or let it fly?

2 - What deer calls have you had success and failure with? For me, I have seen a fawn bleat bring in does even after I shot (gun season), but have not had much luck with my limited calling at other times.

3 - Trail cams - do you think there is much risk of a trail cam with a regular flash shooting at night spooking mature deer to the point the leave the area or choose alternate routes? Just a little concerened aboiut using non-IR cams.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on these.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Pee is pee. I used to worry about it. I have watched deer walk within yards of where I let it fly and they have never been spooked from it. A bottle is just one more thing to carry into the woods. I suppose ones diet could have some effect on the odor.
Grunt call and the can are the two calls I use. Every deer reacts different to calls. Some times they work sometimes they don't.
I get plenty of pictures on my camera at night from the same bucks so I don't see that the flash spooks them too much in my area. I do have ir cameras though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you are hunting a smart old buck scent control is more important than if you are just out looking to bag some meat for the freezer.I have killed a deer the past two years opening day from my stand with plenty of bug spray because the Mosquitos are thick, both years the deer came 15 yards from my stand.

I like to use the can call.I also use a doe decoy if I know where a buck has been coming out into a field but can't get him in close enough to get a shot.

I have hundreds of pictures of deer on my old flash cam never seems to spook deer. I think a person moving in and out of a stand area or in and out to check a cam to often is what will spook a mature deer more than the flash from the cam.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I will actually pee in scrapes......really pisses bucks off.

Low glow cameras are fine, IR or No Glow cameras are better. No glow cameras are much better in avoiding theft. No better way to locate cameras then by seeing flash.

·
Hookin aint EZ
1,018 Posts
So if pee is pee could we just bottle our wifes/girlfriends monthly cycle pee instead of the magic doe pee they sell in stores?
I pee in a bottle myself.
Calls haven't worked for me but dont use them all that offten.
No trail cams either.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
So if pee is pee could we just bottle our wifes/girlfriends monthly cycle pee instead of the magic doe pee they sell in stores?
I pee in a bottle myself.
Calls haven't worked for me but dont use them all that offten.
No trail cams either.
Just take their used tampon and hang them from a tree branch...I'm not kidding either...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just take their used tampon and hang them from a tree branch...I'm not kidding either...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
my uncle used to tell me this too. said he had a small buck come up and lick it. i guess it could be worth a try but ill go a different rout first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts