Scenic River banks

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by WishinIwasFishin, Jun 22, 2008.

1. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

Can anyone help me with information regarding Scenic River banks and property rules? I was speaking with an old neighbor of mine and he was telling me that 25 feet back from the water's edge is private property, but anyone can fish or camp on that property (within 25 feet). He has a brother and a son who lives on the Stillwater and he seemed pretty sure of this law. I know that his family rides horses along the river as well.
    I do know that there are easements that most people aren't aware of, but I would like to confirm this.
    Let me know what you have heard. I really would like someone to point me in a direction to confirm this.

2. montagc

montagc Always an inch shy

Doesn't it relate to the legal navigability status of the river?

3. wader

wader Fishing Fool

In Ohio the adjacent landowners own the streambed and the banks. There are contradictions in federal law, but it comes down to how the law is enforced, and I believe that most judges would side with property owners in Ohio. Maybe another rule applies to scenic rivers, but I would clear it up with a legitimate source before I tried to camp on another man's property without permission..

4. Just go and fish the river and if a landowner gives you a problem plead ignorance! lol!

5. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I do have a special talent for acting ignorant.
    Wader, I have heard the same thing- that you can float a river legally, but anchoring or stepping on the bottom means you are trespassing.

6. wader

wader Fishing Fool

I am an avid canoeist/fisherman, and in my experience most folks don't care if you stay within the banks of the stream, although there are a few that are quick to defend their property, but venturing onto the banks w/o permission is a risky proposition. I'm sure many landowners around popular streams are sick of trespassers and the trash they leave behind. The whole issue of riparian law is kind of murky in Ohio, and I wish it would cleared up. A stream access law like the ones in Michigan and Pennsylvania would be nice, but would probably fail in Ohio given the large amount of land in agricultural use/ownership.

7. fisharder

fisharder fisharder

Just don`t pull up in someones back yard. If your going to camp on stop for shore lunch just try to be some place where access is limited.Also there a lot of public areas that have been converted from railroad land to bike and hiking paths I think you should have access there to shore. Every time I have canoed the LMR I have had to portage in a few spots due to low water in spots not sure how you can avoid that. But I think your neighbor is incorrect about the 25 foot rule. Call one of the canoe liverys and ask they should know for sure..