close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scattered vs. Isolated?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, May 20, 2004.

1. What's the difference between scattered thunderstorms and isolated thunderstorms? I see this all the time on weather.com.

2. i dont think it really matters, they are always wrong anyway. I wish i could be that wrong at my job all the time. I have wondered what the difference is though. The way i see it is that you got a 50% chance of rain every day, its either going to rain or its not! :p

3. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Scattered are more numerous and not as widespread as isolated.

4. Scattered would be something on the order of 20%-30% of the area/region gets wet from several thunder cells. Isolated would be something on the ordr of less than 10% of the area/region gets wet from a few very widely dispersed thunder cells.

Partly cloudy vs. partly sunny....Most people get this one confused as well. Partly cloudy can be worded to mean the same thing simply by saying "Mostly" sunny it just depends on what affact the broadcaster is after.

Most of us who spend a lot of time outside can predict the weather much more accurately than the NWS with a minimal understanding of conditions and a simple radar loop.

5. Froggy, are you Dick Goddard? :)

6. Some would argue that you've got half of that right :eek:, and there are a few chicks that would suggest a third is accurate :).

7. Here's another...

Partly Cloudy: Cloudy part of the time. (More sun than clouds)
    Partly Sunny: Sunny part of the time. (More clouds than sun)

8. Ha ha..it took me a minute to get that one :)