close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

scaled or fillets

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by 03zrider, Jan 28, 2005.

1. scaled

20.5%
  2. fillets

79.5%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. i was wondering what do you like for panfish?

2. Fillet all the way.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I like the crispy skin and if you cook them right the bones peal right out.

4. If I butterfly the fillets then skin on if not skin off...

5. marcbodi

marcbodi junior member

Hi,
    I scale and Fillet them.

6. Like em both ways, when ice fishing I skin them to avoid scales all over my basement. On the open water while fishing out of Conneaut for perch I have them ran thru the scaling machine at Snug Harbor (30 cents a pound). Then fillet them at home. I kind of like the skin, some do some dont.

7. Gills and perch scaled (dad has electic tumble drum-sweeeeeeet!)
    Eyes filet.

8. I Used To At The Age Of 13 Scale Most Of The Fish We Caught.
    The Old Timer At Lake Tommy Loved Bluegill And Crappie. :(
    Know That Im Older And Not So Wise I Fillet My Fish Or I Dont Keep Them. :)

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

Full Choke lets here more about this tumble drum. Sounds new to me but sounds like I need one.

10. I like mine filleted and skined I use a electric knive.
    I had an old buddie who would but a blue gill in one hand and paring knive in the other,then put both hands into a 5gal. bucket of water and start shaking and then cuting and came out with two scaled fillets.We called him old shakie of course.Never could get the hang of that method.
    Fred

11. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I have never in my life had fish that had been scaled.

I never been ice fishing either, thats something I'm hoping to change this year.

I always wondered how to do it, and what it would taste like.

12. We cleaned fish last night and as usual I used my electric knife to fillet them. However on a few of them I had my brother-in-law scale them and then I filleted them. I wanted to see the difference between skin and no skin. The results were as expected, the skin tends to give a little bit of a fishier taste while the fillets without the skin are just pure white and sweet. I like them both ways however the rest of the family likes them filleted and skined. By the way I went back to the pond where I went through last week and there was 8-10 inches of solid ice everywhere. What a difference a week makes.

Bdrape

13. Yeah, I hear ya Crooked stripe, How about it full choke any info on how to make one of these? Really appreciate it.

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

They have the electric tumble drum to scale fish in the BPS catalog. Tried to find it on their site but digital scales kept coming up rather than scaler.

I like perch and bluegill/redears with the skin on. Too much trouble to scale myself though.