Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Livin' the moontime
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard at the SOMA outing that the ODNR and OHMC were no longer collecting scale samples. According to the OHMC web site, an online reporting system (which I am strongly in favor of instead of 'de-barking' muskies) will be in place next year. The ODNR will be using scale samples for data and research for the 2007 season. just FYI

here is what i found on the OHMC web site:
Finally, the general membership opted to keep the scale program running "business as usual" for the '07 season. A new verification system will be top priority for the board over the next year. It was decided that the by-laws will be amended, and the new system WILL be in place by 2008. This decision was supported by the DNR officials present. ALL SCALES WILL BE READ for the 2007 season...and are still required for eligibility to receive awards at the March '08 banquet.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It was nice meeting you at the outing!

I think you may have misunderstood what was said. It was not stated that the ODNR and OHMC were no longer taking samples. It was stated that the program was being phased out and we (SOMA) were not requiring scale samples as proof of a muskie caught.

See you on the water.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I find it hard to believe this scale sample program ever existed. To expect the average joe fisherman to do this without damaging the fish is ridiculous. With all the info on TV, mags, and on-line about quick release, try to keep the fish in the water, etc. then they want you to remove a scale? I don't want to remove any slime let alone a scale. The on-line reporting idea sounds like a good one. Welcome to the 21st century. lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
When the scale sample program was first initiated it was a state of the art program and was copied by many states including I believe Wisconsin and Minnesota. Since then the other states have molded and changed it to fit their own needs.

I am glad that Ohio has decided to phase it out and replace it with a more "fish friendly" program. Your correct that removing 4-5 scales could be potentially harmful to the fish if not done correctly. Lets just hope that with this new program the DNR is still able to gather the information they need and that the number of 50"+ fish does not skyrocket.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Lets just hope that with this new program the DNR is still able to gather the information they need and that the number of 50"+ fish does not skyrocket.
Amen to that Weatherby. Hopefully they will require a pic with the measurement being taken.

·
Livin' the moontime
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard that SOMA wasnt going to require samples, but I also heard someone say that "ODNR has all the data it needs so they're not doing it any more" during the outing.

Either way, I'm happy about online reporting.....but am also afraid that Ohio will have about 1000 fifty-inchers reported too :(

anywho, good meeting you too Weatherby

·
STX 206 Viper
1,861 Posts
I like the idea of on-line reporting, especially if a picture is required. I have never taken scale samples from fish I've caught because I didn't feel that I knew what I was doing, and might hurt the fish.
Brian

·
Registered
352 Posts
On the scale envelope there is easy directions on how and where to do this with needle nose pliers.. You only need 5 scales and this has been valuable information to our stocking program and helped perfect it....

A few years back they told us if they didn't get more scales from Milton, they wern't going to stock it anymore.. fortunatly more were sent in after that.. Elmer Heyob ( Ohio Fish Biologist ) spoke at our banquet this year and assured us that scale samples will not harm the fish.. And he would know ... and if Red spot or Lymphosarcoma can heal over ... 5 scales can easily.. I caught fish that had healed..I remove scales when the fish are in the net....

At Pyma, they clipped fins to determine year class and that didnt hurt them.. If you would like to view some of this info as far back as 1960's, look on my webpage under Ohio's Biggest Muskies.. This info was provided by scales http://muskie_guy.tripod.com.. Most years in the past usually less than 12, 50 inchers are reported caught.. But fish are getting bigger these days.. The real harm to our fish and trophy fishery are "old school" ways of thinking and not educating the "general fishing" public.. like the folks I saw catch a 47 inch muskie on a jig at Saltfork last weekend.. It was hauled away on a stringer.. fat and full of eggs.. It prolly took 8 years for that fish to get that big... and a big misconception is that muskies eat game fish.. It's been proved that 90 % of their diet is the soft oily shad or suckers... so there is no need to club em, gouge their eyes out or cut off their tail ( and this does still happen ). A fish friendly system would be great if we can still get the info they need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts