close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sbc yahoo /raised prices?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by freyedknot, Apr 28, 2008.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

sbc yahoo raised my monthly rate to $25.00... and it is not worh it. too slow. is there an alternative isp dsl for a better price?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i doubt you'll find a dsl provide for less.i have windstream and they advertised 19.95,but it ended up at 29.95.gotta read that fine(or invisible)print,LOL.
    but it's not slow by any means.

3. I go AT&T (formerly SBC) Yahoo DSL PRO for $30/month and it has decent speed.

4. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I have the Elite... $34.99. Was $29.99.
    Only other alternative here is cable for $54.

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

It's hard to beat Wide Open West's (WOW) combo of digital cable/Internet/unlimited phone for $99/month...

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I hate to say "never", but it will be a cold day you no where before I have VOIP. Especially from Buckeye Cable, the only cable supplier in Toledo.

I switched to AT&T because I had an internet outage two years ago and Buckeye told me it would be several days before a tech could come out. In the 26 years I've lived here, the phone has not gone out once. So, I'll take the reliability of AT&T and their 24/7 service over cable. And oh yea... it's cheaper than cable too.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto.i had it before i moved.i also had their cable and internet for years before i took the bundle.their service is tops and in 7 years,i only had one ior two minor issues.outages are almost unheard of and customer service is there when you do need them.for about $100 a month,that bundle is a great deal in areas where it's available.

8. It's not too slow. Your computer is hosed. For web browsing, any type of broadband is plenty fast... I bet you couldn't tell the difference between a 256 K/sec line and a 1.5 Mbit line. You really need to fix your computer. I still have a stick of RAM you can have for free, but I'm willing to bet that you've got more issues than simply not enough RAM.

BTW, $25 is still less than half of what you'd pay with a cable ISP.

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the problem with yahoo is:: cost:pay $20.00 = slow.pay $25= a bit faster pay$30 and even faster,pay the $35 and get their fastest isp setting.. but my pc is prolly junked up too.my speed is 1300/325

10. 1.3/325 is more than enough. Your internet should not be slow. If it is, it's not the internet connection.

Your PC is old, but should be fine for web surfing. Double your RAM and wipe your hard drive, and reinstall windows. No amount of "registry cleaners" or other purported "fixes" are going to help you.

11. Trade ya for my 28.8 (reached 40.0 once) dial-up....;) ;) ;) For me to get high-speed would be $50 - 60 /month plus $250 installation (satellite).....