close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

saved a bat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by snag, Jul 8, 2007.

1. snag

snag

we were on walborn today bassin and my brother inlaws tube snagged some fishin line near some trees and we saw something splashing around and here a bat was caught up in some line we got it in the boat and he held it down and i clipped off the snagged line from around its head area it wasn,t very happy ,it was snapping at the clippers,then it climbed up his rod holder strap and hung upside down to dry off it was cleaning itself like a cat does, it was pretty neat but i kept a eye out on that little varmit just in case,then about ten min later off he goes flew back into the woods,glad he flew out between us and not at me i probaly would have bailed out if that critter would have flown into me ,that was a first for getting something weird,and the bassin was tough............

2. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I recently toured "Back to the Wild" in Castalia, Ohio... it is a wildlife rehab center... As a fisherman it made me very sad/angry to see how many of their animals came to them due to fishing tackle and line. I know it has made me be way more careful with how I dispose of old tackle and line - and I most always pick up any I see that others have left behind.

Some may question why you would take the time to free a bat - but I think it's cool you took the time to do so. Nice work! I'm a little freaked out by bats, that would have been a tough rescue for me to try!

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

good job, i caught 2 of them in the house last year in a flannel shirt and let them go outside without harm. holes fixed now, so no more bats inside. cool that you helped it. no need to kill them.

4. I grew up in a late 1800's farm house in Columbiana County. We used to get bats inside all the time. We figured out that if you use a fishing net to catch them, they can't see the actual net or pick it up with echolocation so they try to fly through the frame. You can bring them to the floor like that, then wrap them in a shirt or something and let them go outside.