Sausage mania

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by boatnut, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Well, I think I got a little carried away but had to do something with all those Giant Eagle pork butts that i bought! Neighbor came over saturday and sunday with some additional butts and some venison. Ground up about 36lbs of pork. made some breakfast sausage, then I broke out my stuffer and made some hot italian sausage, some "german" sausage and some Chorizo. Also assembled about 13- 1lb "logs" of venison/pork summer sausage which i'll smoke later this week.
    Although, I'd made breakfast sausage before, this was my first attempt at stuffing sausage into casings. There was definetely a learning curve but after a call or two to my ol' fishing buddy, I finally got the hang of it.
    I used spices from "kits" (2 from cabela's and one from a sausage supply house). The italian came out great....not real hot but a bite to it. The Chorizo was good and not too overpowering. I liked the breakfast sausage as well. Hope to try the "german" tomorrow.
    Next time, I'm going to just follow some recipe's that I have and mix my own spices together.

Attached Files:

2. Very nice!!!! I have made about 50# of venison/pork butt sausages this year also.. made some hot italian with cheddar and jalapenos, some sweet italian with cheddar, and some very garlicy polish (yum)... I hear ya about the breakfast links.. I tried to make them twice and I gave up and made patties and bulk both times:( they are a pain in the butt... That chorizo sounds real good!!!! I will have to try that with my next batch.... once it warms up a bit I will get my smoker made and make up a bunch of trail bologna and summer sausage..... I was buying the kits from butcher and packer and they were good.. but I got " the art of sausage making" by Rytek Kutas for x-mas and I starded using fresh ingredients and they are much better!!!!!!

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Mike, You're killing me, man...!:D That looks delicous...I've got everything except the time and motivation to do a batch. Now you're inspired me...I'm going for it. Chrizo with soft scrabbled eggs over top is the ticket...! ;)

4. Hook N Book

That works too...it's the only way to roll...!:D

I bet you've been ordering that way every since. ;)

5. Chippewa,
    yup, i've got that book too. Also have one by Bruce Aidell which has some great recipes. gotta pick up some more butts before that sale ends!

6. Hook N Book

Mike, I'm worried...!:D

7. Mayo and pickle only for me.

8. Hook N Book

No guts..No Glory...!

9. You're a sick individual, Rodney! Wait till i post pics of me stuffing them! LOL The sausage that is..into casings :p