close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sausage making?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by twistertail, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Any of you out there ever make your own sausage? I made some andouille sausage over the weekend in my smoker and it turned out pretty good but it kind of crumbles apart when you try to slice it. Didnt know if anyone has any tips they could give. If your not sure what andouille is its a really spicey cajun sausage used in gumbo and other cajun dishes, really good stuff but I dont know of any place around here you can get it.

2. Twistertail, My brother-in-law just gave me a catalog on meat processing and sausage making supplies. You can buy all kinds of spices and packets for making your own sausage. If you was to call them they should be able to help you out. Phone 313-567-1250 (Detroit). Web. site WWW.butcher-packer.com

3. I get a catalog from these guys once in a while http://www.sausagemaker.com/ they have some pretty neat stuff. Thanks for the other link, i will check it out. Have you made any thing yourself?

4. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I've helped my dad make italian sausage for over 15 years now...if you ever want the recipe shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do...it's a family secret, but I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it...some wine/garlic, and some ratio of salt to pepper, and pork to beef and voila! Give me some ketchup and an open fire and I'm set for one of the best breakfasts ever, or lunch, or dinner.....ah heck, now I'm droolin' :D

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Twistertail,
    If you'd like to get hold of some really good Andouille there's a place in Cincy that makes some of the best (Bayou and cajun in hot and mild). I know it's a pretty good distance from you but if you were looking for the good stuff they have it. These guys are forth generation sausage makers. They make all kinds of sausage including Chrizo, Italian, and even Tasso ham. It's worth the trip and they may even give you some tips on making it yourself. I've got the casings, the processor and the stuffer and even a recipe from Emerile Lagasse, but haven't gotten around to making any myself. :D
    If you need more info let me know.

6. Hey cheezemm2 I would love to have the recipe. I have book that has 100's of recipes but would like one that I know is good. Do you stuff into casing like brats or breakfast sized links, or just make patties?

What is the name of that place in Cincy? I have a brother in Lebenon just north of Cincy so I may check it out next time I'm down there for a visit.

7. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Twistertail,
    It's called kroeger & Sons Choice Meats located on Finlay Market Ph:513-651-5543.

8. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Hey twistertail,

We make sausage every year. This past year we didn't stuff any - just left is all bulk. It sounds like not enough fat. A couple of years ago we had very lean hogs and the sausage meat had very little fat - the link sausages we made fell apart after cooking. Cut thru one with a fork and it would crumble and fall out of the casing.

-Jeff

9. That is what i thought, not enough fat but the meat I used seemed like it had a lot of fat. The recipe called for 5 pounds of pork butt and a half pound pork fat. I got the meat at Schuamans in Columbus and told the guy what I was doing and he said there was plenty of fat on the piece of meat he gave me and I shouldnt need to add any more to it, maybe I should have. When a recipe calls for so many pounds of meat and so many pounds of fat are you supposed to use lean meat or leave all the fat on the meat and add even more fat to it?

10. sporty

That sounds awful lean. Do you mean the pork but was 5 1/2 pounds with 1/2 pound of fat? That's only about 10% fat. We go for about 25% fat - we just eyeball it. We use to always use "trimmings" for sausage which is pretty fatty by nature. Last fall we all decided we didn't have enough sausage the previous year so we each threw in a shoulder (3). We had to add some straight fat once we added the shoulder - which a pork butt comes from the shoulder. Last fall we each walked away with 25 lbs of sausage each :D.

Note that this all for fresh sausage - we've never done any cured sausages.

-Jeff

11. this is the recipe i used

• 5 pounds pork butt
    • 1/2 pound pork fat
    • 1/2 cup chopped garlic
    • 1/4 cup cracked black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon dry thyme
    • 4 tablespoons salt
    • 6 feet beef middle casing (see butcher or specialty shop)
    I didnt know that pork butt was shoulder but I told the butcher what i wanted, so he brought out a whole pork butt that was just over 5 pounds. I showed him the recipe and asked about the pork fat, he said that the piece of meat that he had for me had enough fat that I shouldnt add any extra to. I really dont have a clue how much fat was on the meat that I had.

After I stuffed it into the casing I smoked it for about 5 hours, man did it smell good. It has a great smokey spicey flavor but the consistency is just a little off. So you think I need more fat in it? How do you judge the % of fat in a piece of meat?

12. Something about eating a butt just doesn't sound apatising to me

and I'll eat just about anything :eek:

13. I just walked into the butcher shop and said I need a big ol hunk of pig arse!:D

14. I could have hooked ya up when we had a hog done at the fast freeze

15. I thought about getting a hog but I'm just going to do like 5 pounds or so at a time until I get a good system down and really know what I'm doing. But I may do that sometime.

16. sporty

I'm not sure how to judge the amount of fat in a piece of meat. We pretty much eyeball it - once it's ground you should be able to clearly see the fat. As we butcher the sausage meat is pile off to one side and some fat thrown in here and there. One thing you can do to get a good feel for how it will turn out is take a small patty and fry it up. That way you can test your seasonings and consistency at the same time. Smoking is going to cause some change in the consistency.

I'm pretty sure not enough fat is the problem. I think a butt has enough fat for smoking or some other slow cooking but not enough for sausage. Maybe see if you can get a butt or some other shoulder roast and a couple pounds of fresh side (uncured, unsmoked bacon) and grind that up. That will kick up the fat content pretty good.

Fast Freeze!! Just hauled couple beef in there last month and picked up 200+ lbs of beef a week and a half later!! mmmm mmmmm mmmmm

-Jeff

17. Never thought about frying up a patty, good idea.

You talking about Circleville fast freeze? I've never been there but have heard you can buy meat there and not have to take your own in??

18. Beef middle casing?????? that's what is used for hard salami...in which case you have to air dry it for for a long time...not smoke it. Maybe you didn't stuff it tight enough???????

Me and the kids and often times some family members, make sausage every year. Like sporty said, 25% fat is the minimum. Sounds like you hot smoked it for a little to long AND didn't have enough fat. One year I did 4 hogs at once ( 8 hams, 8 slabs of bacon, ribs...YUM :), canadian bacon, a few turkeys for good measure and about 300 lbs of sausage). I cold smoked everything for about 2 days straight....lots of beer :p :)). You need a small fire or a big smoker for cold smoking, but it doesn't dry out the meat.

19. sporty

Yeah - Circleville Fast Freeze. They had prices up on a board that we're some better than say Kroger's. I think they even had seafood listed.

Damn Froggy - that's a LOT of pig!!! We cold smoke in a 55 gallon drum with a metal buck of smoldering hickory sitting in the bottom.

Man I'm hungry!!!!!!!!!!

-Jeff

20. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

hey twister,fast freeze does have good meat and the prices are usually better than anywhere else in circleville.
    if you ever have a fish fry and need to buy any they sell ocean perch too.