close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saugeyes

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hey guys, do you think with all the main lakes being flooded and the spillways flowing at full tilt, that saugeyes will be filling up the creeks? When do you think they will start to re-configure themselves under the dams or in the deep holes?

2. I think they will hide behind something close to the dam. The hole right at the dam is probably deep enough for a bunch to hang out right by the leading edge without expending much energy, too.

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

In the winter (during high water) saugeyes sit at the end of the die-ing shad conveyor belt. The "conveyor belt" begins at the face of the dam in the rough turbulent current..with a little investigation you can usually find where it ends. :)

4. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

Alum or Hoover spillway should have fish willing to bite. I will try Alum tonight. When the water is up to the sidewalk it is usually good fishing. Those two spillways didn't have the raging floods the other spillways had so the fishing could be good.

5. I stopped by Alum yesterday on my way home and saw quite a few guys casting. The water is WELL above the sidewalk, they had all 3 gates open and the tube was at full flow. I didn't see the numbers of shad that I normally see when they let water out. But that is also because of the time of year they are dropping the water. - my opinion.
    I think the real question is; is there anyone catching fish above the dam? Since they are dropping the water so late (early) this year I wonder if the Saugeye have moved back to the deeper main lake points and are not as effected by the dropping of the dam.
    I know last year we were concntrating over different points, through the ice. But I can't remember the days.. maybe Erieaddict can remind me.

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I tried hoover lastnight above the dams along the rip-rap with a husky jerk...Nothing. A guy at gandermountain was stocking up on them and said they were hitting pretty steady at night.

7. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

Mushijobah:

i had some luck past the bridge on central college in waist deep water...i cast some twister tails and even a silver leaf(just to try a spoon) and caught 2 before the flooding occured....i have caught them on jerks in the past, allthough it was prior to the dousching of the stream.......

i will be back in that water as soon as i can walk the banks again...

Has anyone tried inside the wall by the outlet?

8. Once the water goes down a bit, Greenlawn should be full of shad and saugeye. I have best luck with a 1/4oz. jig with either a chartreuse or pumpkin/chart. power grub.

9. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

where is greenlawn? i am new to the area and will try out any spot..

10. south end of Columbus, just off of 71. It can be a rough place to fish.....but usually a good place. Probably because it is the last major dam between columbus and the Ohio river. You never know what you'll catch down there. I've seen 30" channel cats, buffalo, flatties, crappie, gar, pike, muskie, smallies and largemouth.........

There used to a nice fishing platform under the dam, but high water messed it up and they took it down. If the regulars down there would take care of it, maybe they'd rebuild it........but it is probably helping the fishing down there.

11. I believe this has been discussed before but I'll go ahead and mention it anyway for the uninformed. This area should only be considered catch and release. Do not eat anything out of there. City of Columbus maintains storm tanks just up the hill from the dam. During heavy rain events, these tanks serve as holding tanks for a mixture of diluted sanitary waste. Too much rain and the combined sewers overflow into the tanks, more rain and the storm tanks overflow into the Scioto. Fair warning.
    Rick

12. Yeah, it sure can be nasty. All the "regulars" down there always take the fish......don't see how they think those fish are healthy :eek:
    Just the smell alone sometimes makes me go fish somewhere else. One day a couple summers ago, I saw these two kids swimming around in that mess...

13. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

do you normally wade greewlawn, or hit whatever you can from shore?