close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saugeye

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Jighead, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Greetings I am new to this forum and though I would give a post. I am thinking of heading to Griggs Dam and trying for some saugeye. Do you know if the fishing is any good down below the dam?

Thanks to all

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Welcome aboard!
    I've caught an eye or two below that dam. ;)

3. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Welcome to the site. I've never fished below Griggs but I'm sure many here have. Cool handle. Keep posting, that's what makes this work so well.

4. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Great place to catch eyes. I recommend using suspending rogues.

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Griggs can be good.....It can be horrible. All depends on the water level, weather,season etc. It hasn't been good lately, but I haven't heard of any eyes being caught anywhere else ethier. Rouges work well, if you can afford them.....Be Prepared to lose at least a jig/crank per hour.

6. Ditto on the rogues, they work great if you can afford to lose them. Make sure you have some backup twisters on board. I have done pretty good down below the dam, but beware of the water levels. Just because the water looks high don't be too discourages. Look for pockets of calm areas along the banks and cast light jigs into them. You might have to do a little walking butat times it can be well worth it. This season so far has been really slow, but it may pick-up at any time.
    Bryan

7. Thanks for all the replys and making me feel welcome. I am thinking of giving it a shot some time this weekend. I am a little behind I just got my license last night at Gander Mt. So I will post if i get a chance to get out.
    Thanks again and happy line wetting to you all... While i am thinking about it anyone know of good camping spots?

8. GREENFISH77

GREENFISH77 Team BAss Xtreme

AEP Recreationland hands down! The best place I've been camping. Excellent bass fishing, peace and quiet, tons of ponds.

9. I would have to agree with the AEP. I have been going there for over 5 years now and love it every time. We have alittle redneck bass turnament there every year called the coomer open some of you all may have fished it but then again maybe not. Any how thanks for all the info this site rocks.

10. Hey guys I just read on the DNR web sight that there are new size restrictions on Saugeye in Ohio. Any Saugeye over 14.04 POUNDS must be released immediately.

11. Yeah, it goes on to say that any saugeye accidentally caught on trout bait must also be released immediately. :rolleyes: :D

12. LOL I must have missed that part.

13. I was just reading that any saugeye caught on a fishen pole will no longer count for a record. I think you need to get in there with them and wrestle them for it. teehee.

14. catking

catking Banned

I also recall the " all fish other than trout caught on power bait........" rule ;) .............. :D ............... THE CATKING !!!

15. catking

catking Banned

By the way, did you get the mount back yet ??? CATKING.......... :)

16. Very funny guys! No I should get it back at the end of This Month. I"ll post some pictures as soon as I get it.

17. I have noticed that you guys have been talking about the suspending rogues for saugeye. I usually catch them on Thundersticks but my question is, has anyone gone out after them with the new X-Rap? They have that casting balance system that would seem to make alot of noise in the water and they suspend just like a Husky Jerk. Just wondering if anyone has givin them a try?

Jake

18. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

i have used the x rap but it was on a realy crappy day.it would be worth a tryif its not 5degrees and snowing.i used it at alum when half the spillway was frozen :)

19. saugeyeslayer

saugeyeslayer The tug is the drug

hahaha...i was there at antrim the day that fella' caught that huge saugeye. as a matter of fact i was almost right next to him, just being my teenage self....nice job on the giant eye'...wish my 31' greenlawn eye' had a little more meat on it... :p
    -the slayer