close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saugeye,Walleye Length Limit???????

Discussion in 'Walleye & Saugeye Discussions' started by ostbucks98, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Guys Ive been let down too many times at area spillways.I show up and see guys walking out with the cigar eyes.Sometimes I see them with limits.Im sure this will get mixed results but I think a length limit would be great.Im thinking statewide 15" would do the job.Wondering how many would be interested in getting this ball rolling?

2. Well said! You have my support. I too have witnessed guys taking "dinks" from buckeye lake this year while ice fishing.

3. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

Seen too many stringers full of 10" walleyes on Mosquito. A fish that size isn't even worth filleting. As much money and effort is spent on stocking, it would make sense to at least protect the small ones.

4. 15 inch sounds good to me too.I get tired of seeing guys take them little ones home and just say to ya,well hey they`re as big as perch. :mad:

5. ive said that for years i dont know what their waiting for

6. I totally agree with you guys. Last year my son said, after I'd released some small ones. Dad you might as well keep the little ones everyone else is. Trying to reason with a teenager, is usless as I have come to findout, he's a good kid just hard headed, got it from his Mom. I was ready to go home, I had 5 on the stringer, when I hooked another small one . I put it on the stringer and said let's go home. It was his turn to filet the fish. Those saugeye were 14 to 20 in. fish except for the last one a 10 incher. When he had them all fileted he came in the house and said what a shame it was to kill a fish that size for such little meat, when they fight so good and we can catch them again when they get bigger. My point was proved and the little ones still swim.

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Back in the day.......LOL........we hounded the DNR on that topic. They did send us a detailed explanation of why they would not impose a length limit on Saugeye. One of the biggest reasons was they are a "put and take" fishery......as they do not meet a certain % of naturally reproducing fish.....and they do not implement rules to protect non-naturally reoccuring / spawning fish. Jim Corey likely still has the detailed letter they sent us a couple of years ago. Perhaps if he happens to see this thread, he can post that thing again.

8. I agree with you guys that there are way too many fishermen taking eyes that are not even a good fish stick. I won`t keep anything under 17-18 inches, and sometimes that`s debatable. People don`t seem to care weather or not they catch fish in the years to come. The dinks you toss back today, are the wall hangers of the future.

9. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Sorry, I no longer have it. Maybe some at some far date in the future but it sure was like butting your head into a wall the last time we tried.

10. I guess the amount we catch below the dams on some tails are just a drop in the bucket compaired to what people keep above. I was thinking on trying too replace some of the fish in the lakes by restocking them from the tail-water. That is the best I can do for them now. I two have noticed buckets full of eyes but if they cant inforce thier laws theres nosense in making them! :( :rolleyes: GOD I HATED TO SAY THAT! FORGIVE ME :)

11. TIP Program <---Then become part of the solution man...
    Purchase a cheap digital camera and when you see them say WOW and ask if you can take a picture for some friends... then take one of their license plate too :D
    You can even film them without them knowing it
    with digital camera models that have that feature ;)

12. :D :D I might try that! Im carry one ever trip! They wouldnt know what to do except say cheese! :eek: :D

13. Oh yea... like my digi cam it even has sound which would be a killer for them to get out of in court... Few trick questions and BAM their guilty as charged and you'll feel great!!!
    We busted some Amish onetime with a camcorder at AEP by filming them and then going to get the Warden at his house and showing him the film...
    Some were PISSED that we filmed them and asked us to stop... Did not know thye do not believe in being photographed... Amish stay till the sun don't shine so they were still there and I think it was 17 out of 27 were also busted for not having a fishing license... The warden let the lady who was with him and with the watercraft div do all the dirty work... Man she asked those wihtout a license if they would like to purchase one then after selling them all a license she wrote them a ticket for nto having one and then nailed everyone who had undersized and too many bass...
    My friend and I loved it!!!

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Indiana imposed a limit on walleyes a few years back. What prompted it was the DNR sponsored a father/son fish tournament at Brookville Lake. They were shocked when they saw cigar sized walleyes being harvested, which was completely legal. The next year they imposed a 14" statewide limit.
    I don't think they really believe how many mini fish are actually being kept, and the reason for it is often. "Why not, a.) everyone else does it (or) b.) this is as big as they get here."

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have seen tons of undersized fished removed from spillways, and not just saugeyes...Nothing will change it, ever!..And that is to bad!..Personally I think we need size and creel limits on almost "all" species of fish.

However once a certain population of fish is depleted so bad that it is almost not worth fishing for, then something may be done.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

jack, I remember those guys carraying fosh out of Paint Creek. I think the goldfish I was using for bait was alrger than some of their fish, no kidding.

17. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I hear you there Jim. Still have the bruises. LOL.

18. What is the law regarding us having signs made to encourage fisherman to throw back eyes under 15" and placing them at our lakes and spillways?It wouldnt be as effective as law but it might make some think about what there doing.

19. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

If you did that on state owned property, you'd most likely get a ticket. You're fighting a losing battle. Some people just keep every thing they catch. Some people fish all day, catch a bunch of fish, and leave without taking a single fish home. I don't like seeing people keep small fish, but I think it all evens out, sooner or later.

20. I saw a sign at Hoover yesterday suggesting that everyone return ALL Small and Large mouth bass. It was put up in co-operation with an angeling society and dnr.