Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saugeye Questions ??????????

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tcba1987, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

just a couple of questions, i consider myself to be a pretty good fishermen, but havent been able to hook up with any saugeyes yet this year. i know that most people use jig and grub or shad type bodies. my first question is are you dragging them super slow on bottom or is there any truth to what i heard from a guy at the point the other day ....he just cranks them steady like you would in the warmer weather. i HEAR of alot of people catching saugeyes havent seen many pics though :rolleyes: i also heard of people catching them on cranks and jerkbaits , is it too early for those ??? do you all think the point is just getting fished too hard?? :eek:
  2. I fish them both ways but slowly working it over gravel bars has been working lately for me while cranking has been working for a friend of mine. As far as Pics, not to many of us bring our digital cameras when hiking the river in the rain & snow, plus there's allot of catch and release guys who don't get a chance at a picture. I haven't seen anything worth taking a Pic of lately, :( but they are starting to bite. When I get my new license we'll hook up and you'll catch some. ;)

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i work jigs as slowly as possible,just keeping contact with the bottom,or sometimes with a lift/drop retrieve.the key is keeping contact with the bottom.cranks and jerks will take fish now also,especially after dark.
    i noticed under your name it says you're from're in luck,cause you have a walking encyclopedia on the "fine art" of saugeye fishing,right at your back door :D
    slide on over to cripple creek bait shop and pay jim corey a visit (or 50 ;) )and if he's not busy peddling bait and tackle,i'm sure he'll be glad to share some of the great knowledge that fills his head.just don't mention my name,or he might ask you to vacate the premises :eek: ;)
  4. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Do a search for saugeye posts by Corey and you will find many tips.
  5. It is my opinion, as I cut my fishing teeth fishing at the point. The place has been overfished. Way too many people keep nearly everything that they catch there. Saugeye are bred at fish farms and then released into the wild because they act like walleye, but grow quicker. The bad thing is that they are nearly all the same sex (female I think), so a limited number of them can successfully spawn because there are very few males. I believe that I have read 1/100 or 1/1000. Either way that isn't vey many. Over the years the population has been depleted.

Now I do believe that there are fish still there, but not in the numbers that were there say 7 or 8 years ago. I also don't think the fish position themselves where they always used to be, just due to the pressure from fishermen. I think that they have learned to utilize smaller places that offer the same level of comfort that they originally found where the creeks met.

As far as keeping your jig off of the bottom. Remember the saugeye is a predator, and they are more comfortable in cold water than say a bass.

Good luck and have fun. I don't get to the point much anymore since I'm away at grad school.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am not much of a saugeye fisherman. I don't really target them only for the most part. However, I have done the same with either slowly dragging a jig with grub or shad body along the bottom. I have also done well wiuth just a steady retrieve. the one spot I will fish in the river, we just slow retrieve and get them. Lots of fish are taken there that way. I also just got into using the jerkbaits this past fall. I am going to stick to them more so when I go in the coming weeks, because I know everybody is using grubs where I will fish.

I also think the Point gets fished very heavily. It is a good spot, but it is also a spot that can be over fished. Well, is overfished. when they are there, you can get on them............I know for myself, I want to find other places to fish. You know if the point is good, there are many other places in that creek that will produce.