close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saugeye out by the zoo?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by EE, Sep 6, 2004.

1. EE

EE

Do they stock O'Shaunessy (sp?) with Saugeye? I have fished there a few times and haven't done particularly well (do much better at Alum), but I think they're in there. Helpful hints are appreciated and if anybody is interested, I'll provide the boat and the bait, but I need a guide (catch and release only).

2. EEEEK38 Yes they stock sagueye there i havent fished it for awhile but the best spots are north of the Home Rd. bridge east side on the flats. The other place is down by the Zoo east side across from where the entrance to the twin lakes goes in off of the river west side. The water in the center part of the river is deep 40FT plus and it comes up onto a flat on the east side around 10 ft.These always seem to be the hot spots,i used to catch them on jig& minnow also cicadas or any lure of that type. Hope this will help you out. Good Luch Fishguy :)

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

From what I have heard the odnr stocks saugeye into O'shay. However alot of them migrate downstream twoards Girggs for some reason. Also you might want to try below Griggs/Oshay about 10 days after major flooding events (as the odnr website suggests) I belive numerous saugeye come over the spillway (during high water) and they will hold in the plunge pool below for some time. I would say there are a few 9+ lbers under Griggs and oshay this very minute..The water is finnally starting to get low and the shad are starting to get bigger...the eye's should start going crazy in the next 2-3 weeks.

4. EE

EE

Fishguy and acklac,
    thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. do you ever worm harness in O'Shay, or do you strictly vertical jig?
    Acklac, when you say the eyes are going to go crazy fairly soon, is it because the shad are getting too big for them to eat and they have to seek alternate food sources, or will they be going crazy on the shad?
    eeeek

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

They will be going crazy on the shad....The schools of shad will decrease in numbers yet increase in size (hope that makes sense). Saugeye seem to like the bigger shad, more of a meal I guess. I dont fish oshay all that much, but this time of year the only thing I fish with is a BIG shallow shad rap, not the super shad rap, but the size below it. I like ripping it through the water really fast, with a tap tap here and there. The fast motion seems to drive the highly agressive saugeye crazy!

6. I'm going to try at griggs probably one evening next week, anyone want to hook up? I have never fished it before and dont really know where to go, where do you park? I know where the dam is and have been past it but dont remember seeing where to park. Can you fish from either side?

7. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

Twistertail from my experience Oshay is a far better fishery. Go on the water data website and look for flows of about 500 to 1000 cfs. Cast jigs, usually 1/4 oz. up next to the dam. Jerkbaits work great at night and yes there are 9 lb + hawgs in there. I have seen several but have never caught one that big even though in spring I live down there. Park on the West side next to the Bogy Inn. The fishing gets hot in October and if it doesn't freeze you can fish all winter down there. Good luck.

8. Thanks for the info. Is that Glick rd Park where you are talking about?

9. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

I think so but if you drive up 257 near the zoo turn left before you get there. When you cross the river turn left after the bridge. You will see the Bogie Inn on your right. Drive to the back of the parking lot and you will see a gate. Park by the gate and walk down the path. Check the water flow at oh.water.usgs.gov. I think that's the water flow site.

10. You are talking about turning left onto Glick rd? Its ok to park at the Bogie Inn just to fish?

11. You will have a beter chance for numbers @ oshay. There is a concrete platform down below the dam. Want water to be below it by 6' to a foot. That seems to be the best fishing. If you are looking for size go below griggs.
    You will do better throwing cranks, than jigs, but be carefull you can loose em as quick as you can throw em. Size wise im using 6" cranks in 3-4 foot of water. Tickin on the bottom untill you cant reel, and there is a fish!

12. Sounds like I'm going to have to get back in the game. :)

Twister- You don't actually park at the Bogey, the parking is for river access and is next to the Bogey. Just head over there-you can't miss it.

13. Anyone know of any rock or sand bars along the bank in oshay or griggs? When I lived down along the Ohio River we waded out on rock bars at night in the fall and early winter and caught alot of saugeye. I don't have a boat so i'm limited to bank fishing. Any locations or directions to any would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

14. Would you like GPS cordinates as well??? There are flats North of the Zoo. Not sure if you would want to wade out there due to Morons in Ski boats! Below the dam seems best thru Ice!