Saugeye heating up

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SConner, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

2. I'll be out after work tommorow, maybe I can actually catch something decent, never caught anything but dink saugeye, caught on a crank i assume?

3. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Rapala husky jerk, fished slow with a twitch.

4. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I love saugeye and saugers, beautiful fish. I just wish they would put up a fight.

5. I agree, I have yet to really catch one that puts up a good fight. But I dont really think its in their nature, I have had a couple put on a good fight at first and then thats it.

6. Don't know where you were fishing, but spent 2 hours this evening just north of Middletown on the GMR. Threw out nearly everything I had (didn't try spoons, flies, or the dreaded have yet to work tube). Only managed to Snag a small rock (no not the fish but an actual rock). :S

Talked to 2 other guys on the river, they didn't have any luck either.

I thought the cooler weather would help the fishing tonight. BOY WAS I WRONG. First day I have been :S in the last 2 months.

7. nice fish. at least someone did some good. i fished the lmr for about an hour and a half and nothing.

8. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

CO Trout, don't feel bad. I hit the GMR in Middletown for 'bout an hour and a half this morning, only a 'gill kept me from the big :S

9. if you look at the lunar cyle this is the worst week of the month, next week being the best so hit it hard next week and redeem yourselves:B I know thats what ill be trying to do.

10. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Good catch on the saugeyes. Ive caught a couple keeper sized ones lately, but its generally only one or two from a location.

I want to hook into some bigger smallmouth. I'm throwing some good sized plugs on the baitcaster in hopes of hooking into one.

11. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Good call, I am hoping to get into some decent sized smalllies this weekend.

12. midoh39

midoh39 member

Is it really time that the saugeyes are hopefully starting up this summer. I'm going to hit the river Saturday and Sunday if I dont go to Cleveland.

13. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i have to agree with mj this week the bite has really been slow. dont know if it is the lunar cycle or just the abrupt change in the weather.
    but i am hoping not to get rained out and catch some fish this weekend. i love it when it cools off.

14. Didn't catch any saugeye tonight, but i did catch a ton of rock bass, 1 largemouth, some dink smallies, and i lost a 15" smallie at my feet, oh well, its supposed to rain all weekend so maybe next week i can get back out there any catch some eyes