close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

saugeye fishing

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dougers, May 25, 2007.

1. i fish an area that has a good number of saugeye. i have never attempted to catch them before, but i have caught several while bass fishing. i would like to target them sometime. so, that being said, what baits are best. i see people mention crank baits. are we talking deep running jobs, or whatever is in the tackle box? also i have seen jigs mentioned. are you guys talking about jig heads with grubs on them? i have caught them on tubes mostly, and spinner baits. i think these were just random catches though. i was fishing in a deep pool that had very slow water running through it. i was fishing a spinner and as i was pulling it by the boat to make another cast i could see a HUGE fish slowly trailing it and then it sort of just sank away. after seeing that, i assume it was a saugeye, i am interested in hooking on to them. any advice?

2. How deep is that local saugeye fishery?

Clear/stained/or muddy?

Saugeye hold tight to the bottom so you want to match your baits up to bump the bottom or a foot above the bottom.When casting for them,they will follow the bait,so keep alert until your bait is out of the water.

They don't like the sunlight and prefer dark/murky water. They love crankbaits,so use the proper depth size to match the depth you are fishing. Firetiger is a hot color. Trolling is a very good method.

Jig and twisters will get em,but bump the bottom. They are like walleye,very light biters. Pretty much anything a bass will hit-except topwater,a saugeye will hit. Drifting/dragging a wormharness will work,if you got enough wind.

A couple things about saugeye,you don't need much line released when trolling and propwash/boat traffic doesn't bother them. They're vicious little critters, LOL

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto that:D
    also,once the water temps hit the 50's on my favorite lake,they'll tend to stick to shallow water most of the time(under 12 feet).and though murky water doesn't bother them,sunlight really doesn't either.they do like shade at times,but i've caught plenty of them on bright,sunny days in water as shallow as one foot;)
    starting in late may/early june through summer,my best and favorite pattern is trolling/drifting harnesses in 4-12 feet.most fish come from 6-9 feet.casting jigs also works well at this time.
    they'll also fall to casting(lift/drop) or jigging spoons/blades work in deeper water(12-14 feet)when water temps push up through the 80's and baitfish school at those depths on open flats.

4. thanks for the advice. the place i usually find them is usually stained, but not muddy. is there a way to trigger a strike if you see one trailing your bait? i never keep any fish i catch, but i see a lot of people do. do they taste like walleye?

5. Dynamite?LOL

I've never seen 1 trail a bait,but I do fish Indian Lake. Being able to see a foot down is about as clear as it gets, LOL

Better than walleye?

This time of yr,I'd go with crankbaits. Firetiger is one of the hottest colors for them. Match it up to the depth of that pond.

The best bite is very early in the morning and an hour or so before sunset.

Some say they taste better than walleye. They taste very good. I love em deepfried. I tried grilling some but all the fillets shrunk and made them the size of bluegill fillets.

I just got through frying up a 1 qt bag full of saugeye cheeks and they were excellent. I have 1 more bag of cheeks to fry up very soon.

6. im not going to lie, they are just too damn ugly for me to eat. ha, but really i havent eaten a fish i have caught for probably 12 years. maybe it was some other kind of fish trailing that spinner then. all i know is that it made me uncomfortable to have my foot hanging over the side. a fish that big had to have teeth and, call me a little girl, but it gave me the heebie-jeebies.

7. does the lake you were fishing have any muskie or pike in it that you know of? what you described sounds very much like what a muskie would do. if it happens again, and you want to try and hook him, swirl the bait in a large "figure 8" alongside the boat. the sudden change in direction will often trigger them to bite.