Ohio Game Fishing banner

Saugeye Fishing at Alum Creek Lake!

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  odell daniel 
#1 ·
It's too hot to target muskies right now! So, I went to Alum Creek to troll up some saugeye and crappie! I was using my trolling motor and running my baits down about 6 - 8 feet at approx 1.8 - 2.5 mph changing it up as I went! There's a few tips at the end. I hope you enjoy, and I hope you can use some of these tips to catch some for yourself!!

#3 ·
Great video!!! Thanks for sharing! The way that little sucker took the rod down in 2:18 you would have thought was a 10lb slob lol Very good camera angle and you kept all the good stuff in that video without any flashy mashy mocha choca BS. Great job man!

I'm actually very interested in your boat set up too.

#8 ·
You have amazing restraint. Still managed to keep it clean even when you lost that Saugeye.:D
You must have edited this since you are on Alum. You probably cut out then parts where the wake boats and jets skies decide to ski along side you in the spot you are trolling. :mad:
It is a fun video. You should do some more dude.

#12 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!! Yes, my rod holders are Down East. I especially love them when trolling for muskies, but they handle spinning rods great. They don't do great with bass size baitcasters though. Oh well, no biggie.

I used to edit in music and stuff, and I just kind of feel it's better without it. I might use it in a spot or 2 in the future, but very sparringly. I do hope I can do a another saugeye video or two soon! I was on Erie today!!!! :D

#15 ·
We were also out trolling Friday night and ended up with around 10 keepers all sent back. Quite a few dinks. I do best an hour before and an hour after sunset and then I struggle to find anything consistent after that on the troll. I think we only landed one fish from 11p-12a and it was a smallmouth. I must need to change tactics or depth as that seems to be the norm for me.

#18 ·
I remember one trip we found them chasing bait on some windblown rocks at like 2am in August. They were chasing shad so shallow there top fins came out of the water. We used small floating jerk baits to catch them.
But for the most part we start 2-6'fow and move deeper if needed.
ive tried to duplicate that night many times and it never has been as good as that one epic night.. when i'm casting at night i'm always thowing a stick into the mix though when other things dont work, just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.