Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too hot to target muskies right now! So, I went to Alum Creek to troll up some saugeye and crappie! I was using my trolling motor and running my baits down about 6 - 8 feet at approx 1.8 - 2.5 mph changing it up as I went! There's a few tips at the end. I hope you enjoy, and I hope you can use some of these tips to catch some for yourself!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Great video!!! Thanks for sharing! The way that little sucker took the rod down in 2:18 you would have thought was a 10lb slob lol Very good camera angle and you kept all the good stuff in that video without any flashy mashy mocha choca BS. Great job man!

I'm actually very interested in your boat set up too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yeah those look like downeast rod holders to me. I used them in my old boat, but have a rail system in my tracker. I think the old ones are still out in the shed somewhere. Someone need one cheep drop me a PM.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!! Yes, my rod holders are Down East. I especially love them when trolling for muskies, but they handle spinning rods great. They don't do great with bass size baitcasters though. Oh well, no biggie.

I used to edit in music and stuff, and I just kind of feel it's better without it. I might use it in a spot or 2 in the future, but very sparringly. I do hope I can do a another saugeye video or two soon! I was on Erie today!!!! :D

·
Registered
958 Posts
we trolled Alum friday night, caught 10 keeper eyes, one nice largemouth and a real nice smallie, trolling at night is pretty good time,
We were also out trolling Friday night and ended up with around 10 keepers all sent back. Quite a few dinks. I do best an hour before and an hour after sunset and then I struggle to find anything consistent after that on the troll. I think we only landed one fish from 11p-12a and it was a smallmouth. I must need to change tactics or depth as that seems to be the norm for me.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've gotten a few after dark. Seems they come up closer to the surface, or at least that's been my experience the few times I've done it.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
We were also out trolling Friday night and ended up with around 10 keepers all sent back. Quite a few dinks. I do best an hour before and an hour after sunset and then I struggle to find anything consistent after that on the troll. I think we only landed one fish from 11p-12a and it was a smallmouth. I must need to change tactics or depth as that seems to be the norm for me.
It's been years since I've consistantly trolled alum after dark in the summer. Like you,we always had are best luck an hour before and after sundown. But our biggest fish usually came after sundown.
All we would do is troll the outside edge of the weedbeds off flats(this was 17-20 years ago).
This was before I knew how to effectively cast to them up shallow. We would troll 8-16 fow. If we were not on weed edges we were hitting the tops of the points. And going up an down each side.
This was before we had a contour map on our gps. So we would map out our troll passes before we got started.
We had a few go to lures. The medium sized wallydiver in perch or gold. And gold/black #7 plastic shadraps with rattles. And hotntots in any color.

Now casting after dark,like critter said,we usually get them pretty shallow all summer long. I remember one trip we found them chasing bait on some windblown rocks at like 2am in August. They were chasing shad so shallow there top fins came out of the water. We used small floating jerk baits to catch them.
But for the most part we start 2-6'fow and move deeper if needed.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I remember one trip we found them chasing bait on some windblown rocks at like 2am in August. They were chasing shad so shallow there top fins came out of the water. We used small floating jerk baits to catch them.
But for the most part we start 2-6'fow and move deeper if needed.
ive tried to duplicate that night many times and it never has been as good as that one epic night.. when i'm casting at night i'm always thowing a stick into the mix though when other things dont work, just in case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts