Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Folks:

Chippewa lake in Medina County Ohio is stocked with (among others) Saugeye -- we were over there the other night and a guy had one he didnt want, which we took home and ate -- it was great, now we want to catch them :)

I dont know much about them -- he caught it in shallow water on a "rubber worm" beyond that I dont know much about what he used -- im open for suggestions

Thanks
TIM

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw a guy in early summer catch a bunch when he was fishing for crappie in the lily pads on south side. He was using minnows under slip bobber and casting jig with minnow. Now that the water temp is warmer I would think they are deeper. Early morning and evenings is best bet. With all the jet skis and speed boaters good luck. Lake should be 25 hp or less. To small for unlimited HP IMO.
Good Luck,
Frickster

·
Registered
35 Posts
I forgot To say that lake is surrounded by farms so it gets a lot of run off from them which causes high levels of bacteria. So check water quality before keeping fish to eat.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Would like to take a canoe out there but not sure it would be a pleasant experience with the powerboats. Last fished there when the amusement park was open - many years ago - big bass right from the pier at the park in June. Any idea if you can still drop a yak or canoe in the inlet where the first road crosses and enter the lake from the north? Used to do that when I was young with varying success. Not crazy about having to put in on the west side with the other powerboats.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife and I launched our kayaks at the launch but they have a ramp for that only which was nice. The problem was you had to stick to the edges because the boaters were driving like crazy in the middle. I’m not sure about north end and putting in. The other problem was there is not enough parking for cars without trailers. So if you park in one of those spots for trailers only the ranger will ticket you. Not sure where you are supposed to park if it fills up. You can’t park on grass either.
Good Luck,
Frickster

·
Registered
271 Posts
HI Folks:

Chippewa lake in Medina County Ohio is stocked with (among others) Saugeye -- we were over there the other night and a guy had one he didnt want, which we took home and ate -- it was great, now we want to catch them :)

I dont know much about them -- he caught it in shallow water on a "rubber worm" beyond that I dont know much about what he used -- im open for suggestions

Thanks
TIM
There's a group of devoted saugeye fishermen in the central ohio forum. There's several threads on where to find them and how to catch them. The rainy night jerkbait bite thread is a long one but full of great information. I got into saugeye couple years back. They're a lot of fun to catch. I would wait to catch them in late fall and early spring if you are planning on eating them. I plan to fish for them a couple times next fall. I bet those fish hardly pressured at all with all the diehard walleye fishermen up here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot To say that lake is surrounded by farms so it gets a lot of run off from them which causes high levels of bacteria. So check water quality before keeping fish to eat.
Yep, Im very well familiar with the lake and the surroundings -- we boat and fish there a lot. We keep a close eye on bacterial levels -- my dad was a waste water chemist and lab supervisor in Medina county for 42 years, so we know how to read the reports etc
TIM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife and I launched our kayaks at the launch but they have a ramp for that only which was nice. The problem was you had to stick to the edges because the boaters were driving like crazy in the middle. I’m not sure about north end and putting in. The other problem was there is not enough parking for cars without trailers. So if you park in one of those spots for trailers only the ranger will ticket you. Not sure where you are supposed to park if it fills up. You can’t park on grass either.
Good Luck,
Frickster
Ya, I understand -- they use parking lot size to limit number of boats on the lake -- ive chatted with the ranger a few times -- hes a good guy -- they really have done a nice job with the launch ramp area -- its good for us boaters too. The only access on the north end is restricted to homeowners in the village of chippewa Lake and Gloria Glens
TIM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would like to take a canoe out there but not sure it would be a pleasant experience with the powerboats. Last fished there when the amusement park was open - many years ago - big bass right from the pier at the park in June. Any idea if you can still drop a yak or canoe in the inlet where the first road crosses and enter the lake from the north? Used to do that when I was young with varying success. Not crazy about having to put in on the west side with the other powerboats.
No, You cant, there is no parking there, and the inlets on both ends are so over grown you couldnt get through with anything less than a brush hog -- if you put in on the west side, and stay close to the shore, you should be fine -- us boaters try to be careful, AND its an easy paddle down to the south end lilly pads from the dock -- theres a nice launch area for yaks and canoes on the south side of the launch ramp

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
No, You cant, there is no parking there, and the inlets on both ends are so over grown you couldnt get through with anything less than a brush hog -- if you put in on the west side, and stay close to the shore, you should be fine -- us boaters try to be careful, AND its an easy paddle down to the south end lilly pads from the dock -- theres a nice launch area for yaks and canoes on the south side of the launch ramp
Thanks. Saved me some time when making my trip down there. Will just concentrate on trying to pick a weekday with questionable weather and get out early to guarantee parking. Surprised that the inlet is overgrown to that point. Used to fish it from shore or a belly boat a long time ago and it was not easy but fishable. Would take some nice crappies there early and late in the season.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lilly pad areas on the north end particularly look like prime hiding spot for bass, I dont know never caught one out of there -- but it looks good

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live within 25 minutes of Chippewa and therefore often go there. I would never consider going on a weekend with either my kayak or pontoon boat, but I have been there many times getting there between 7 and 8am and was the only person on the lake. I usually try to leave around noon as things start picking up. I am sure that the parking is limited because the lake is so small. I have never had problems with the jet skis/speed boats when fishing in my kayak or boat.
Also, the lake is not surrounded by farm land. I am sure that a lot of the chemicals that end up in the lake come from the houses on the one side. There is farm land north of the lake along with wetlands.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess I could have been a little clearer, sorry. The watershed(run off) in the surrounding areas for that lake include a good amount of farm lands and housing developments that contribute to the high bacteria levels. That’s what the rangers told me when I asked him the reason for the high levels.
Good Luck,
Frickster

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep --
I guess I could have been a little clearer, sorry. The watershed(run off) in the surrounding areas for that lake include a good amount of farm lands and housing developments that contribute to the high bacteria levels. That’s what the rangers told me when I asked him the reason for the high levels.
Good Luck,
Frickster
Ya, agricultural run off is a big contributing factor to high bacterial levels, as well the sewer system in Chippewa Lake and Gloria Glens etc is somewhat antiquated and can cause a lot of problems

TIM

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,348 Posts
It’s the septics leeching into the lake from the homes on the shoreline. When we get heavy rains and lake levels rise, it creates high bacteria in the water making it unsafe to swim or having any contact with the water. Me personally would not eat anything from the lake, fun fish and release those saugeye so it can yield good results to the ODNR and maybe they will eventually stock our other lakes with similar features. I’d rather see saugeye than catfish being stocked imo

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you can dodge the speedboats and water ski brigade you can certainly find them in there...and Tim - go back to simpler times and just drift or cast jig and grub tails. Don't go too deep - they're not walleye. They got that sauger mentality. Don't overlook 2 fow or less.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
It’s the septics leeching into the lake from the homes on the shoreline. When we get heavy rains and lake levels rise, it creates high bacteria in the water making it unsafe to swim or having any contact with the water. Me personally would not eat anything from the lake, fun fish and release those saugeye so it can yield good results to the ODNR and maybe they will eventually stock our other lakes with similar features. I’d rather see saugeye than catfish being stocked imo
Yes x100000

The program here is working. I did keep these 4. But I don't need more than this as it's just me. Plus I didn't think about the field run-off into this lake. While I still have 2 eyes, 2 ears, and a nose....I don't find myself keeping anymore from here until the lake continues to improve in water quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m sure they’re like most farms and use pig $hit to fertilize the fields. Take a look at satellite map I attached. Everywhere you see dirt fields is farm land. That is way more acreage then those house along the shore. Not saying it doesn’t help the matter.
Good Luck,
Frickster

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
How is the bass fishing there ?

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,348 Posts
I’m sure they’re like most farms and use pig $hit to fertilize the fields. Take a look at satellite map I attached. Everywhere you see dirt fields is farm land. That is way more acreage then those house along the shore. Not saying it doesn’t help the matter.
Good Luck,
Frickster
I agree with you on that, I’m just going off info from a friend who lives next to the sailing club on the lake. That’s what the committee told him and what he told me. I just won’t eat the fish lol. Catch them, sure...but I’m pitching everything back into the lake to spawn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts