close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

saugeye and walleye(CLUELESS!!!)

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Dropline, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Dropline

Dropline BAIT WASTER!!!!!!

I have never fished for saugeye or walleye before and I was wondering what I should use for bait and what is a good time to go? Is it to cold ? I here guys talk about the ice coming off and going saugeye and walleye fishing. What type of spot do I try? There is a spot I have a lot of luck with catfish where a creek runs into the tuscarawas. It is not very deep there(3 to 4 feet),but i have caught a few bass, suckers, bowfin, sheephead, a bunch of catfish,and a gar. I have never fished this early in the year. Do you have to slow the baits way down? what is a good water temperature for these fish? about how deep are these fish holding? Any help would be great.

2. I am by no means a saugeye or walleye master, but it sounds like you found a place that should hold some fish. Well here is a little bit of my own experience. They like to hang out at the confluence of creeks. As long as the water isn't hard, you can catch them in the river. Try grubs 3" to 5" or sassy shads 2" to 4". Usually a jig head of 1/8 oz. to 1/4 oz. is plenty. You do not need to leave the bait sitting still, but you don't want to reel it fast either. Experiment until you find a retrieve that the fish want.

Joe

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Hey dropline, maybe we can get together and fish for them sometime! I want to get over there where you are talking about to give it a try. We have been catching soe in the river here the last few days. the easy and cheap bait to use is a jig with a grub. try a little of everything. slowly drag it on bottom, steady reeling, reel a stop. It all is working here and there!

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Oh yeah, by the way! I am not much of a saugeye fisherman either. I just know what has been working at the river. I am sure other guys who fish for them regularly will give you better knowledge.

I am wanting to do some fishing this weekend, and I will hit the river or Stillwater Creek. So, if anyone wants to get together and do some fishing, I am game. Prob either Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

5. I'm no expert on saugeye. I've never fished this early either , but i can tell you what i've had luck with on the tusc.. So far this year i haven't caught any. Last summer and fall i did good using shad raps. Right when it was getting dark and after dark was usually pretty good. I would catch them in fast current. I also have got some on nightcrawlers.

6. Dropline

Hey rockbass, When do you want to go? I live right around the corner. HAVE POLES WILL TRAVEL!!!!!

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am going to go this weekend sometime. I am not sure about saturday afternoon yet, but Sunday afternoon, I will most likely go. I will work till at least 1230 on Sunday, so I will go sometime after that. If I get some time, I might scout the area when the stillwater flows into the tusc. I just don't know how much of a prob it is to get there. Other than the golf course. I even thought about taking the 4 wheeler and hauling back there to check it out. If not there, there is another place outside of Gnaden down here that I have a clue about :cool: then there is always the point, but I usually try to stay away from there. I know if they are biting there, it will be packed. I am hoping since they have been calling for a little bit warmer weather this weekend, that the fish might start biting a little better. oh yeah if you go, what has been working is grubs on jigs. 1/4oz or even 3/8 oz. Bigger grubs have been favored a little bit. I have a few 4 inch power grubs in white and brown. the other plus about using jigs is that they are cheap. Escpecially when you make your own like me! :p the weedless ones are even better! :D

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I will post on here either tom. (fri) or on saturday if I will be out. I will PM you too!

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i like the traditional 3-4 inch grubs , I like the pearl white pepper, it seems to look most like a shad to me. i also like the walleye assassin , a shad style rubber bait made by bass assassin (chatruese), they are hard to find. shad raps are good in the balck and foil and i like smithwick rogues in the clown color too. :)

GOOD LUCK i havent caught any yet this year. :rolleyes:

Brian

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

my favorite bait for streams is a med. fathead minnow on a carolina rig., cast it to a likely spot and just drift fish it or leave it lat on the bottom, picked up a few nice ones in the tail waters down there like that in the fall.

11. Rule #1 never to cold for eyes, you just jave to go fish for them.
    Rule #2 Fish on the bottom.Do whatever it takes to get your bait down there
    Rule #3 Be patient

Lol, these are my rules of thumb.Eyes will eat anything but when its real nasty and cold you want to fish twister tails.I find more success fishing smaller in cold weather like 1/4 ounce and 2" tail maybe sometimes a 3".Tipping them with a minnow or crawler can also raise the odds.Slow retrieve,stop and go,jigging all can produce results.Eyes love current so targeting eddy's,rapids and breaks would be were i started.

In about 2 weeks (hopefully) when water temps reach mid 40's.You can open your arsenal fishing any minnow or bait fish lure.Same way staying on bottom and sluggish retrieve.Thats about all I can think of right now.Hope it works out for you.

12. Dropline

Can anyone tell me if the night fishing for eyes is worth trying. I work midnights and I get pretty board on friday and saturday nights, but I dont want to freeze for no reason.

13. Night fishing is excellent time for eyes and probably is the best time.