close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sauger in the Maumee?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bkr43050, Aug 27, 2004.

1. I was just quickly browsing the Ohio record fish (not that I expect to put my name on it any time soon:rolleyes: ) and I noticed that the record sauger for the state was caught from the Maumee River in 1981 (24.5" 7.31#). I don't fish the Maumee at all anymore but have several times in the past. That is the first I have ever heard of sauger in there. Can anyone else attest to this. I know that they can be difficult to distinguish from walleye from what I understand (only from reading since I have never caught any) and I wondered if there was any chance of incorrect identification of species?

If they are in the Maumee then they could be in Erie. Do they catch them up there? I also read that they preferred for turbid waters and thus were not really a lake fish.

2. Oh and by the way, the first person to catch a pink salmon can put themselves in the record book.:D It is still open.

3. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

You can catch anything in the maumee, the other day I caught a goodyear. I've caught a saugeye out of there, but never a sauger. I'm sure there in there though. I here they like to hang out by tires.

4. i'm pretty sure they were accurate on the ID for the state record. as far and them being in there consistantly, i'm sure there's always a few. people probablly catch them more than they know and just assume they are resident walleyes. its completely true on the anything in the river idea, ever see the sturgeon brought out of there a few years back? there is a pic on maumee tackles site and on coolwaters, actually the guy who caught it used to be on GFO, not sure if he changed his name and is still here or not. Speaking of saugers, anyone know where they get them for the saugeye hatchery? i assume southern ohio but they still aren't all that common from what i understand. just curious.

5. I have read several articles over the years and it seems that they are in pretty good numbers on the Ohio River. I am not sure how much of the stretch but they say if you hit it at the right time you can catch a lot of them. They are evidently very difficult to locate much of the year. If I had to guess I would say they got their breeding stock from there but it is only speculation.

I never heard of the sturgeon that was caught up there although I know they are in the great lakes and many larger rivers of northern U.S. and Canada. I am curious as to how large it was.

We go to Ontario every year to a lake which connects to the Mississaugi River indirectly by way of a smaller stream. Sturgeons were known to exist in the Mississaugi but nobody had any knowledge of one ever being caught in this lake we go to until a few years back. There was a small group of guys from Bowling Green who went up to that lake ice fishing and one guy hooked into one nearly 5' long.:eek: He was quite a distance from his buddies but finally managed to flag them down and get their help. They had to cut multiple holes in the ice to get the beast up. It was something like 105#! They have it mounted and displayed in the gas station up near the lake. That is pretty cool.

6. Years ago we used to go to the Ohio to catch sauger in the spring. If you hit it right, 50-100 fish days aren't uncommon. Most are small, but enough good ones thrown in to make it a good trip.

7. Dingo

Dingo

Yep. Upstream from Cinci in the Ohio. Below the Mehdahl dam in the spring and in the lower portions of the rivers running into the Ohio (miami's, etc.)

As for the pink salmon -- the state was tardy in placing it on the list. A fair amount showed up for a few years in the late 80s/early 90s (they ran every other year) in the lower portions of the Erie streams. The DNR thought that the source was another lake (Huron?), especially since they were showing up more in the western streams and never stocked by the state. It seemed that the pink was introduced once they quit showing up in any numbers (mid-90s). I had to get the first one that I caught (rocky) identified at a bait shop since I've never seen anything like it prior to then (male with the big hump). Now if I can locate that old picture...

8. marcbodi

marcbodi junior member

Hi,
    I have seen Sauger caught in the Maumee and they have spots on them and they are ugly.

9. t8km

t8km

phisherman you say you caught a saugeye out of the maumee. did you have it identified by anyone because the state only stocks them in inland lakes.

10. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

I didn't have it i.D. I just assumed it was a saugeye. It looked like a walleye, but had a different coloration and was out of seasons for eyes on the river.

11. What? I can think of quite a few rivers and creeks with saugeye.

12. I beileve that there are always a few walleye that remain resident in the river after the spawn. I have never felt real comfortable in distinguishing between the saugeye and walleye.

13. M.Magis is right there all several rivers with the walleye stocked. Some are overflow through dams of lakes and reservoirs but not all.

14. Saugeyes are stocked in many rivers/streams but none that are part of lake erie's watershed because they don't want them to mix with wild fish. saugeyes are supposed to be sterile but they have been known to reproduce successfully and can cross back with saugers or walleyes. So there should be none in the maumee at all. there are always resident walleyes in the maumee, not just left over spawners from the lake, and they could easily be confused for saugers/eyes. they are almost always much darker than lake eyes (just like steelies that have been in the rivers for a while) and the heads are usually larger than normal with smaller, skinnier bodies. the best way to distinguish is look at the dorsal fin. saugers have spots and saugeyes have stipes or bands, walleyes lack these. saugers also lack the white spot at the base of the tail where walleye and saugeye have it.

15. Good explanation Mojo!

I read a few articles some time back on the fertility of saugeye. In fact I believe the one article was from our own Jim Corey. What was stated was that there is quite a misconception that the saugeye are sterile. In fact the reason that they do not reproduce is not really due to sterility but that the conditions in the body of water which they are in is not suitable for successful fertilization and hatching. Some bodies of water experience a very small amount of reproduction but only in the most suitable conditions. If Corey reads this perhaps he could reference the document that I am talking about.

16. t8km

t8km

you guys are right there are saugeye in some rivers. but they weren't stocked, they escaped over a spillway. no such spillways or dams in the maumee watershed i don't think that are stocked. mojo is right genetic integrity of the lake erie walleye among other subpopulations.

17. Sauger are native to the Maumee. The Maumee is the only watershed that feeds lake Erie with a native pop. of sauger. Natural saugeye hybrids can also be found in the Maumee. Naturally occuring saugeye, in addition to saugeye that enter the watersheds by washing over spillways, can be found in several river systems in Ohio (Scioto, Great Miami, etc.) where walleye and sauger are both present in significant numbers.

Steve

18. I could not find any data supporting the stocking of saugeyes to rivers but I know a couple areas that we have fished for years that contained fair numbers of saugeyes. Mohawk Dam on the Walhonding River is one that comes to mind. This is many miles from any stocking locations (Wills Creek, Pleasant Hill). I always thought they were stocked here but that may not be true. Perhaps someone else can help verify what T8km pointed out.

Also, here is the article written by Jim Corey that I mentioned earlier.

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc2/corey20021.html

Here is an article from the DNR with a bit of info on the saugeye stocking process. It says that <FONT face=Arial>sauger males are collected from the