close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sauger help

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishymcgoo, Jan 17, 2008.

1. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

I know they can be caught this time of year but could use some advice on depth. I fished the ohio today and caught nothing but gizzard shad. I havent did alot of winter fishing so any tips would be appreciated.

2. I have been gettin um up in tribs and trib mouths usin grubs and swimmin minnows but if ya want sure fire bait get some live minnows but i will say the catch this winter hasnt had as many big ones.

3. I agree with Mystic on the techniques and places , But I've caught more larger fish this winter than I have the last 3 years . I've been fishing the Markland pool...........................................................................Norm

4. ....dont forget bladebaits..
    and dont be afraid to try shallow, sauger are a wierd fish, tagging surveys have shown them to typically hold in deep water but they like to feed in very shallow water. we shocked them this summer so shallow they couldnt turn over. creek mouths are good when the water is up, so are sand bars ect. fish the dams when the water drops, alot of times you just look for the crowds. just look for a current break and fish it, if they are there you'll know in a few casts

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Where abouts are you from Fishymagoo? I'm going to assume SW Ohio, so I'de recommend going to Meldhal. There should still be fish there to be caught. Not sure of the river conditions as of right now though.

6. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i live in new richmond. and thanks for the tips everyone!

7. I like using shiners way better than minnows bigger bait = bigger fish this time of year