Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday July 11 decided to fish Ruggles Reef out Cranberry marina I knew the wind being out of the south I should be ok with the small 15ft Lund. It looked foreboding as I Headed out the marina dark clouds gathering to the west I knew I had very little time before the first batch of storms chased me off the lake. Started at the southern part of the reef and with a nice southwest wind I controled drifted directly over the reef in 15-18 ft of water. First three cast with my 1 oz Erie dearie Weapon yielded 3 nice 17 in walleyes, Wow! just like the old days. Then the sky let loose with torrental monsoons of rain, over the next 2 hours I fished for maybe 10 min and retreated twice back into the marina. Lightning thunder and hard rain but not really bad winds. Finally things cleared up and the sun came out and I proceded to catch 15 eyes over the next three hours. Never pulled out the bouncer rod just stuck to the Weapon letting it gently roll over the reef with a 3/4 oz or 1oz weight. The wind picked up rapidly and I found that the small Lund handled three footers well. My drifts were short and kind of fast at around 1.8 mph but the lund drifted true and I basically never left the tiller except to grab the net. the ride back down to start the drift again could only be described as very wet the waves short and crisp. I threw back all the larger fish this time and kept the 16-17inch for a fry at the cabin Sunday. For video http://walleyewarrior.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ranger,

Thinking of trying that same area on Sunday. Did you try trolling at all while you were there? Also, was curious how much junk you were picking up in that area as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry didn't see this earlier fished today out of Cranberry rough seas but managed 14 on bouncers and weapon using a controled drift at 1.6 mph in as shallow as 14 ft deep as 18 ft. A couple were 24 in but most around 16-18in. Traffic was high. It had been only a couple of boats for the last couple of weeks but today was crazy. I just stick to the edges and let the pressure push them out I'll have a report on the blog tomorrow good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We were up there with you....unfortunately didn't do as good...only landed one that was 16 inches...me and my fiance were drifting erie deeries..lots of bait steelers throughout the day...but at least the lake wasn't as rough as predicted...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gettin ready to head out. Hopefully the walleye gods are upon us today. Going to be workn the skinny water somewhere between ruggles and beaver. Good luck to all

·
Registered
113 Posts
Vtown, Fished the Ruggles area. Worked about a 1/4 mile stretch of the reef and slowly picked at them. While they weren't jumping in the boat today we had fun on the lake. Did you make it out sunday? if so how'd ya do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts