close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saturday night GMR report

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cats under the stars, Sep 6, 2004.

1. My biggest flathead ever on 17 lb test with a bluegill head for bait.
    It took about 25 minutes to land. It bottomed out my scale that goes to 28 lbs, so I am calling it 30 pounds.

The one laying next to it weighed 8 1/2 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Great pics and great fish. Looks like your going to need a bigger scale :)

Steve

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Nice lookin fish.

4. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

And a bigger rod.........LOL

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

With those markings on that big one, you'll be able to recognize it if you ever catch it again. I caught one 2 years ago that fishsticks caught last year. Only gained 3 oz too.......

6. That's true about his markings, he has a big nick on top of him.
    My buddy just put that rod next to him to give the picture some scale. On that rod it could have took 3 or 4 hours.

7. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

Got a question, in order to take that "group pic" how did you keep em alive between fish being caught? Or were the fish caught one right after another?

Just curious....... :confused: :confused:

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Very nice fish, looks like the gmr is the hottest flathead river in ohio....I do have a question, looks like possibly more flatheads in your van?...Did you keep all the fish?..Perfectly legal to keep them, just wondering?

9. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I wouldn't call it that. My past 7 trips in the past 3 weeks have yielded 1 flathead.

10. That is a PIG! I too have been shut-out on my last 2 trips to the GMR.

11. I did keep the fish this time. I have fished almost exclusively this summer in the GMR. In the past 2 months we have fished every Saturday night.
    We have caught about 50 flatheads and 25 channels. We have always thrown back everything we catch but this time we kept the 9 fish we caught. A few of the flatties were taken on live bluegill, goldfish, and an Israeli carp, but most were taken on cut bluegill (mostly the heads). I did catch 2 10-pound channels the other night on live bluegills. My buddy's best this year was a 15 1/2 pound flat on a tiny smashed shad tail.

12. Hate to hear that that nice flat will never be caught again! I really hope that the ODNR places a limit on these trophy cats!

13. THarris

THarris CHASING THE BIG 'UNS

I agree with Rooster -- it is a shame that trophy flathead will never be caught again! If I may ask, what is the reasoning behind harvesting such a large flathead? Obviously you had many, many smaller ones to keep... Glad to hear that you normally release the flatheads you catch, just suggesting that it makes more sense to harvest the channel cats and small flatheads as opposed to the large flatheads.

14. catfishinfool247

catfishinfool247 Highland county catman

Unfortunately a lot of fish like those are harvested every day across the US.I totally believe that selective harvest can help a species by creating less competition for forage, better territorial reign,and allows for overall growth increases.Everybody has fished those ponds where you may catch 25 bass in an evening but they all look like carbon copies of one another. But by selective, it generally means keeping a few small fish for the dinner table and releasing all of the larger brooding fish.I personally keep no flatheads and I have one fish fry per season for my family in the fall and the fish from that are small channel cats in the 1-3# range. I may keep 10-15 channels of this size per year and all come from Paint creek early in the spring when the water temp is cool. I do not knock anyone for keeping fish but I hate to see the big ones taken out. I'm no saint, I've been guilty of it.I caught a 48# flatty way back in '87 and was attempting to transport it to my uncles pond about 15 miles away and it died on me. I felt so bad about that and haven't attempted to move a big fish since. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to eat any fish that come out of some of these rivers in Ohio. Again, not knocking anyone but just my 2 cents.

15. yeah, Great catch. I havent had as much luck the past couple days, but I think its going to get better. Please let it rain, oh please. I cant believe you were catching those flatties with cut bluegill?

16. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I'm reading words against a guy keeping a fish? Granted, it's a nice fish, but giving him a hard time about keeping NINE fish in a year? Come on guys, ease up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat. I don't hear the meat hunter guys making abusive comments about us C&R guys. Why must we make disparaging comments about somebody keeping a fish? That flatty would feed my family for 5 or 6 meals. And, it is a pretty well known fact that flatheads don't get nasty as they grow bigger- they stay just as good as they are when they are little, unlike some of the other species. More power to the guy- those would be some serious steaks off that fish.

If a fish has no food value to most people, like a carp, or none at all, like a tarpon, release 'em. If you are having a mount made, keep 'em for that, but throw 'em back otherwise. Catfish are fine eating and no one should be made to feel bad about keeping one.

Limits would be great to help preserve the population but 1 fish a year by this angler isn't going to make a real big difference. If other anglers followed his lead, we would have an overabundance of fish.

My only reservation would be eating a fish out of the Great Miami. Down here on the south end, that's like eating fish out of the toilet. Not me.

UFM82

17. mrfishohio

If one keeps a few fish to eat, okay. Best to my knowledge all fish from the GMR South of Dayton were on the consumer advisory list, the advice is to eat none of them, of any species. Maybe they changed it in the last few years.
    Personally I would never keep a trophy size catfish, as they are a little scarce & if everyone who caugth one (small river, large river, lake, etc) eventually, they would be more scarce. That being said, that's why we're trying to enact new regulations, which would limit the take to only one per day over 34", personally, I'd like to see a 6 fish limit also, but that's not what the petition says.
    So.......even if it were enacted, it would still be within one's rights to take a bag like this one. Selective harvest is a good thing, and like he said, these were the first ones kept this year.

18. mrfishohio

Do Not Eat Fish From These Waters
    These fish have high levels of contaminants, and should not be eaten.

Body of Water
    Area Under Advisory
    Species
    Contaminant

Dicks Creek
    Cincinnati-Dayton Road, Middletown to the Great Miami River
    (Butler County)
    All Species
    PCBs

Great Miami River
    Lowhead Dam at Monument Avenue (Dayton) to mouth (Ohio River)
    (Butler, Hamilton, Montgomery, Warren Counties)
    All Suckers
    PCBs

So I guess catfish are considered okay now, used to be all species.Do not eat link

Here's the advisory on how many meals, etc from the GMR
    Great Miami River

Indian Lake to State Route 571 (Tipp City)
    (Logan, Miami, Shelby Counties) Common Carp Month PCBs
    Smallmouth Bass,
    White Bass
    Month Mercury
    State Route 571 (Tipp City) to Lowhead Dam at Monument Avenue (Dayton)
    (Miami, Montgomery Counties) Common Carp 2 Months PCBs
    Saugeye Month PCBs
    White Bass
    Month Mercury
    Lowhead Dam at Monument Avenue (Dayton) to State Route 73 near Middletown
    (Butler, Montgomery, Warren Counties) All Suckers Do Not Eat PCBs
    Common Carp 2 Months PCBs
    Saugeye Month PCBs
    White Bass
    Month Mercury
    State Route 73 near Middletown to Harrison Pike (Miamitown)
    (Butler, Hamilton, Warren Counties) All Suckers Do Not Eat PCBs
    Flathead Catfish,
    Striped Bass Hybrid
    2 Months *PCBs, Lead
    Channel Catfish,
    Freshwater Drum,
    Saugeye,
    Smallmouth Buffalo
    Month PCBs
    White Bass
    Month Mercury
    Harrison Pike (Miamitown) to mouth (Ohio River)
    (Hamilton County) All Suckers Do Not Eat PCBs
    Flathead Catfish,
    Striped Bass Hybrid
    2 Months *PCBs, Lead
    Channel Catfish,
    Freshwater Drum,
    Saugeye,
    Smallmouth Buffalo
    Month PCBs
    Largemouth Bass 15” and over,
    White Bass
    Month Mercury
    Limit meals link

19. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

No one slammed the guy for taking the fish, all expressed thier views on keeping such a trophy sized fish........nothing wrong with that. But you made it by your post a slam against these guys expressing thier views, some even asked the question why not keep just the smaller ones and not the big flattie.......... wheres the slam in that????!!! No one slammed him or made abusive comments...... for keeping the other fish, only questioned and expressed thier concern about keeping the big flattie.........didnt slam him at all.......... :confused: :rolleyes:

Personally, I am C&R strictly except for some gills, perch and crappie sometimes.......... why would meathunters complain against the C&R guys, if it wasnt for us, there would be nothing for them to keep.......... ;) I am all for limits.........

20. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Maybe the fish were not ate?