Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the bowl in Huron Saturday with my gracious host Oh Yeah. Thanks again my man!

We tried bottom bouncers with harnesses and weight forwards for an couple of hours and didn't get anything but white bass and perch. Then we moved a little deeper to almost 40 feet and started trolling harnesses and spoons. Several whities on the meat but almost all eyes on the stinger spoons. We had our best luck with an copper spoon with orange and pink spots. After awhile we abandon the bouncers and put out the boards with Jets at 180 and dipsys out the back at 80. All the bites came on boards.

Oh Yeah was telling me the reason for the boards is to not trample the fish on calm , bright days because they don't like the boat or motor. It was obviously true but as a side not I did see 1 white bass just sit there at about 18" deep as out boat trolled on by and the kicker probably came within 1 foot of him but he didn't even seem to notice. He mustve been fearless.

We got our tickets from about 10-2:30 but we had to work for them and try everything. All 03 clones. This was my first experience trolling on Erie and I actually liked it better than I thought I would. If I had my druthers and the fish were biting on the drift i'd rather do that but if its flat and theyre not biting then I love trolling:) . I learned a ton about all the jargon I hear on OGF yesterday like dipsys, jets at 3 1/2 at 90 in 40 fow, now I now what that stuff means:) .

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
When the fish are on as they have been the last few weeks, they will hit directly behind and beneath the boat. When the bite gets tougher it's more important to get those baits away from the boat. ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good fishin' with ya Pigsticker !

I got lazy at the end and flat-lined jets right behind the boat and they too hit well. We were catchin 4 white bass to each eye and tried to speed the troll from 1.8 to about 2.2 and noticed no difference. When you guys say increase speed, how fast can you troll now to keep those whities off and still hit eyes ?

GR

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
I was hitting speeds this weekend of 2.7-2.9 and still catching eyes, it seemed to slow our sheepshead bite down but we still caught a few white bass / perch.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I guess my increase from 1.8-2.2 wasn't a real increase at all !
LOL at myself. And I was even commenting - "look at those guys, they must be pulling skiers". ooops, the Joke was on me.

tks
GR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts