Satellite tv HD question?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewis, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Guys I have a 50" Panasonic 720p Plasma TV.
    I currently subscribe to Dish Network standard definition service.
    Is the upgrade to their high definition service worth it?
    Will I see a dramatic increase in picture quality?
    Any input would be appreciated!

2. i have direct tv. HD is Awesome! Dogfights on history channel hd is why hd was invented

3. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

HD on a HDTV = Great picture quality.

That's why you bought an HDTV for in the first place right?

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

And HD is better than just digital but I get several of each type through my Time Warner cable connection in addition to analog. (I don't pay extra for the digital.) I can see a huge difference between analog and digital but not much between digital and HD. I have a Sony Wega HD set and it is FABULOUS when you have the HD signal. However, I can't see much between that and digital. I'm waiting for February when ALL channels are digital. I bet TW will jack pricing up on all those cheapskates like me out there who never paid for digital...

UFM82

5. true2plue

true2plue TEAM BATO!!

Isn't HD a digital signal?:confused: Many(if not all) cable companies are sending these digital signals through your cable box as we speak. It's no secret that HD 720 or 1080 format is more crisp than any weak analog signal.

6. All HD is digital. Not all digital is HD.
    HD is definitely better viewing than non HD.
    Get it?
    Cable companies usuallly charge extra for HD.

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

This stuff is all new to me.
    With satellite television,I figured that I am already getting a digital signal.
    Just curious how dramatic the difference in picture quality is from digital to HD.

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Lewis,

I have direct TV and have many shows that I can watch in HD or standard digital format at the same time( 2 different channels) to compare. There is a definite noticeable difference in HD over standard def digital.

But, keep in mind that it you don't have HD to compare to standard digital the standard digital looks great. It's like when you buy a TV and take it home, they all look great. It's only in the store with 30 TV's side by side that you see and notice the differences.

HD for me is worth it.

9. Dish subscriber here. Pioneer 52 in. plasma. Go Hd upgrade ASAP!!!!

10. i have dish networks people tells me that the super bowl is going to be on abc i don,t get that channel. is that true if so i will change to something else because i can,t missed that game.

11. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

If you have an HD TV it's well worth the upgraded service. I'm going to be looking into the Turbo HD, more channels...watching the WFN in HD is worth it alone!

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Are you saying you can't get ABC because it is not part of your subscription package...???:confused: If thats the case...you know you can just hook your TV to an antenna and get network TV as long as your set is digital or you have a converter box. You might also have to program your set to get local network TV.

13. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Dish Network is coming this Friday for the upgrade!

14. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i too have dish network let me know how the hd upgrade is. i been debateing on it

15. I had my HDtv for about a year and a half before I upgraded my DirecTv to the HD package and it is GREAT! After watching Ohio State in HD you dont want to watch it any other way. I waited becuase I wanted to have the HD-DVR but they were $300 and I didnt want to pay that much for one so I waited till they came down in price.

16. I have dish net work and im not getting the digital signal. YOu know those tests they keep doing on tv that if the picture goes black then the signal aint getting to you, well mines black on every test.

I just bought a 32" lcd 720 type toshiba so i know its not the tv.

Anythoughts on what the issue may be???

17. I am far from an expert on this but wouldn't all of Dish Network's signal be digital? Not necessarily high definition but digital nonetheless. I think the only analog signals are the antenna received signals.

18. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i take it dish network never showed up for you LEWIS? been waiting to hear some good news so i guess i will just stay with the standard dish network

19. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Very sorry...I forgot to reply back to this thread.
    I upgraded to Dish Network HD service..all I can say is WOW!
    I have never seen so much detail in a picture before.
    I have a standard definition TV in the bedroom...and I cant hardly stand to watch it now.
    If you have a 720p or 1080i definately upgrade your service!