close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SATA Hard Drive to IDE Bridge COnnector help?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by tpet96, Jan 16, 2005.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I need a little help. Not sure if I fully understand this. Here is the problem. Someone ordered a new harddrive off of a website......and it was listed as IDE on the website. When received, the bill of sale says SATA. We looked on the website, and it said IDE....so we called them. Within 1 day, it was changed on the website to say SATA......and they have a disclaimer saying that they are not responsible for website errors/etc. They will not refund the $$ or exchange for an IDE drive now. SOOO......the only info I have is this drive is a 80GB, 7200RPM SATA harddrive. Will the below bridge allow me to connect this drive to an IDE slot w/o any problems? I don't believe it is a SATA 150.....just says SATA on the drive. Thanks for any info.

Manhattan 170567 SATA To IDE Converter
    The Manhattan 170567 SATA to IDE Converter is designed to allow SATA hard drives to function with IDE controllers. This unit permits datatransfer rates of 66 / 100 / 133 / and 150MB/s and can be used with any SATA 150 hard drive.
    <?xml version="1.0"?>

Specifications
    • Use with any SATA 150 hard drive
    • 66/100/133/150 MB/s transfer rate
    • SATA 1.0 compliant
    • Allows SATA 150 drives to operate with IDE controllers

2. What does the SATA converter plug into ? Does it use an PCI slot ? Sounds like what you want but cannot be sure without more info.

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Supposed to be the IDE slot. Plugs into IDE, and can connect 2 SATA devices into it. BUT......says it supports SATA 150. The drive just says SATA. Same thing?

4. I believe that SATA 150 is a speed reading. Much like an ide hard drive older ones were 33, then 66, 100 ,133. SATA 150 compatible means that is as fast as it will read. You could hook a 100 SATA drive to it and it would still read but at the 100 speed .

By the way , if that company does not let you return that drive , that would be the last thing I ordered from them. What else would you have to go on other than the info that they provide on their web.

The ide controller slots are built right on your motherboard ( main board ). Most controllers that I have seen plug into a pci slot. I am mostly familiar with ide drives however. The reason I ask if it is a pci slot based is a lot of name brand computers do not have much room for expansion ( no open slot ).

If you are fairly computer savvy open it up and determine if you have a free slot. If you are comfortable doing this I can guide you thru it. Or if someone else here is more familiar with the ATA s might be willing to help.

5. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Yes the adapter will work. The 150 is as previously stated, the transfer speed of the bus. It would be backward compatable it you have a SATA 133 drive. It's a shame we don't live closer or I would swap you for an 80gig IDE. My motherboard supports SATA but I have IDE drives. I use a SATA bus to IDE converter, sort of the opposite of what you are doing.

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Yeah, I'm familiar with the whole technical side of the motherboards, etc. Just not real savvy with the SATA stuff yet. The IDE connectors are built right onto the motherboard. P4 2.4 processor I believe. We might just go with the connector. Might be the easiest way to do it.

7. Yep, I'd keep the hard drive and use the converter. Someday when you upgrade you'll already have the SATA Harddrive that way...