Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Charlie
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to fish around 7am ,was not sure what to expect when I started, water was up a foot and pretty muddy in places and stained in most places protected by the wind. I started at the main point and had a real good hit but the fish didn't hold on so I continued down the lake on the south bank and had a couple of fish on a spro fire tiger rattletrap but they got off so I kept going along and finally caught a 16" bass on the spro. I had all kinds of hits in the timber along the south bank but they just were not holding on, I put on a 4" black power worm and I started catching fish. They were close to timber and the bank and I ended up with a couple more 16's, 2-14's and 2 small bass. Sure was a pretty day for fishing though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like that worm came through for you again Charlie! Thanks for the report and I'm looking forward to meeting up with you and Herman on the water soon.

·
Charlie
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rig my worms with a texas rig using a 1/4 weight. I have a couple of worms that I like to use, zoom fineness black/blue flake, black/red flake but if they don't work I go to the Berkley 4" black. Also, cast close to timber and the bank. I also use spro lipless crank baits on the flats.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am looking to hit Knox fri night for bass and crappie. Any idea how the crappie bite is and are they still by the stumps?

·
Charlie
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are by stumps but they are deeper now, I would fish the timber on the north bank across from the boat ramp where the water is deeper. Start fishing without a bobber so you can lower your bait down a little at a time till you find the depth the fish are at. The good ones are deeper now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You ever go for the cats out there? This year knox lake has beena disappointment for me on cats but I want to get out there some night in the coming weekend to catch some.. have your heard much reports on how they been?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Charlie
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't fish for cats but I know they catch a lot of big ones straight out from the bait shop. Out in front of the bait shop the water is only about 4' deep and it gradually goes out to 8' then drops off to 11'. A lot of fish come up on that flat at night and even during the day when the wind picks up to feed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's unfortunately where I've been getting skunked.. so far this year but haven't been for a month or more out there... all I could get into where tiny young cats none bigger then a foot... thanks tho!

·
Charlie
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would fish with chicken livers or shrimp, but cut shad is the best. If you have one of those throw nets you can get plenty of bait.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would fish with chicken livers or shrimp, but cut shad is the best. If you have one of those throw nets you can get plenty of bait.
I need to actually try cut shad sometime agian usually have no luck with it nor shrimp there.. chicken liver works best for me at knox . But like I said last time I swear we wear in a school of young cats that went every where we casted bites were on like bluegil but hooks I had where all to big lol

·
Registered
805 Posts
were on the lake can one catch minnow for crappie and bass?
Last time there I went down old mansfield road to the parking lot there at the lake and found loads of minnows. Also if you can't get them on the lake yoh have grandpas tackle on the southend and on the north knox marina both sell minnows...gpas has a vending machine outside with minnow it it too but hot days those one look halfdead. If your going thru Vernon google search I think arch park there's a trail for river access that section is fairly shallow and holds a lot of nice baitfish then if u wade about 100yds down there's a big bend to the rigbt where the river gets about a foot or less deep yoy can watch the little guys jump there there are so many

1 - 16 of 16 Posts