close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Santee-Cooper/Intracoastal Waterway

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by bassman23, Sep 7, 2004.

1. bassman23

bassman23 Da Fishpimp

Just got back from vacation to Holden Beach in North Carolina a couple days ago. After the tropical storm rolled through Sat./Sun. it ended up being a pretty nice week. My dad and I went down to Santee one day and fished with Captain Brad on a charter. It was really hot and really sunny but it was a good day all the same. Ended up catching about 10 blues and a couple channels. Best blue was 25lbs, and what a fight! Here is the pic:
    [​IMG]
    I will be going back for sure.

The next day we went up to Wilmington, NC and fished another charter with Captain Freddy. The ocean was too rough to get out on so we fished in the ICW. Ended up being a great day, we caught a bunch of reds, some grouper, flounder, 2 stingrays, and a couple other types of fish. I think I need to move! Here are a couple pics:

My dad with the best red of the day, 34".
    [​IMG]

Another nice one, my dad caught all the big ones.
    [​IMG]

My favorite catch of the day, a big stingray I caught.
    [​IMG]

Had a great vacation, if you are in the area I would give these Captains a try. This is Brads site for Santee: http://www.fishingsanteecooper.com/home.htm And here is Freddy's site: http://www.madfishcharters.com/

bassman23

2. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Just curious did you eat the Ray? My grand parents have a place in FL where they stay 6 months of the year and we catch them there in the Gulf, and eat them.

Their meat is like that of chickens, very firm and "stringy" I guess. Wonderful fish.

Looks like you had a great time.

3. Nice fish,looks like you guys had a great time!daryl

4. bassman23

bassman23 Da Fishpimp

Yes it was a great time, I think we are going to try going out to the gulf stream next year. Try to get some big boys.

We only kept one red and put the rest back. I did'nt know people ate those things.

bassman23

5. catking

catking Banned

Hey bassman23 !!! Nice to see you posting again . I have fished the SanteeCooper lakes for a few years. I love that area. Looks as if you all had a GREAT !!! time. Later.DA KING !!!

6. Bassman23 where is this lake located we go down to Myrtle Beach every year would like to try it out if not to far :confused:

7. bassman23

bassman23 Da Fishpimp

It is probably about an hour or hour and a half from Myrtle. It took us about two hours from Holden. Well worth the drive if you ask me. Here is the guide we used, http://www.fishingsanteecooper.com/home.htm . Should be able to get directions from his site.

bassman23

8. Thanks for the reply Bassman23 mt son and i will give it a try next yr. Is that the same Santee/cooper they talk about for bass fishing ?

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

A lot of times when you order scallops in places, what you are eating is sting ray. They cut and skin the 'wings' and cut the flesh out using a round cutter. It's all good though

10. catking

catking Banned

Yes Tom G. That is an EXCELLENT bassin place. A 10 pounder is not out of the question......... THE CATKING !!!

11. bassman23

bassman23 Da Fishpimp

I never knew that Roger. I do love scallops, still I think I will pass on cleaning a stingray. Leave it to the pros.

They had some pictures of huge bass at the camp we met the guide at. I might have to give those a try the next time I'm down there. Cool pic of a big albino channel too.

bassman23

12. Catking or Bassman what is the interstate it is near trying to find it on the map but cant love to go bassin there next yr