Santa Fe Problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Buckeye Ron, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I bought a new Santa Fe in Dec 06. I now have 35,000 on the speedometer and have had to replace the tires at 23,000 and now the rear brakes pads and rotors ($750) and guess what none of the warranties i bought cover a ding dong thing. The dealerships comment was there is a lot of rust back there do you have your vehicle in water a lot. Now I have a 22 ft trailer so back of vehicle in water is slim to none practically. I said not very often, well there is so much rust back there that we can't get it all off so for your car not to make a noise (screeching) you need to replace the rotors and pads. They are unable to get the rust off the emergency brakes, they say this is what will cause the wheels to squeel because it would be a constant squeel not when you put on the brakes. Anybody know what qualifies to be a lemon law vehicle for a Hyundai ? I wisb i couuld find the salesman that sold me the extra bumper to bumper warranty which would cover everything the other 100,000 or 10 year warranty didn't cover. Might take him fishinn !!
    Thanks for listening:mad:
    Ron

2. I'm sorry about your bad luck. I've had a 2004 Santa Fe for 4 years now and just recently had to replace the brakes and timing belt at 70,000. The only malfunction I've had was a bad oxygen sensor.

3. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I don'y buy the rust making things squeel, I would take it to a REAL mechanic for a second opinion. Sounds "fishy" no pun intended, to me.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I think technically, the second a Hyundai rolls out of the factory, it's declared a lemon :D

5. I wish i could take it to another person, but it is up on their rack because i had steel against steel on the left rear wheel. But i agree with you about the rust causing the screeching because they can't get to the emergency brake to clean them up.

6. i believe you now, i guess the warranty part is just another way for someone to make money off us poor slobs who buy them !!

7. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Things like tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights etc. are all considered "user replaceable items" and no vehicle warranty (that I've ever heard of) will cover any of those.

You say you bought this car new in Dec. of 07 and have 35,000 miles on it already??? (Less than 8 months) That is a LOT of driving, and based on that you should expect to replace your brakes and tires a lot more frequently. I'm guessing at that rate you'll be replacing your brakes once a year - and that wouldn't matter what kind of car you drive. As for tires, I'd be looking for anything out of alignment, or perhaps the set that came new with the car was a cheaper off brand? A good set of tires for a mid-sized SUV like a Santa Fe should last around 40,000 miles. However, I don't know your driving habits or where/how you drive.

If there is a LOT of rust on the back axle/undercarriage/brake drums then there must be a cause. Do you use your Santa Fe to tow a boat and launch at ramps? Do you wash the salt off your vehicle and undercarriage in winter time? Do you park your vehicle on a concrete or blacktop driveway, or do you park it on a grassy or gravel driveway? *Reason is if you park it on grass, or even gravel to a lesser extent the dew and moisture will eventually rust your undercarriage. If you answered "no" to all of those, then there might be some kind of defective paint or coating job from the factory - but in that case I would assume it would be all over and not just in the rear end.

Lastly, as far as a "lemon law" I believe you have to have documentation that you've had the vehicle in to the dealer for repairs 3 times for the same exact problem. Report back with your findings...

8. I work at a cadillac dealer, their policy is that wear items are not covered under warranty, this would include brake pads. You might want to ask them what you rotors measure, and what the manufacturer minimum specifications are supposed to be for your car. I've seen some guys just look at some rusted rotors and condem them without ever measuring them. Often times they are plenty thick enough to resurface. Tell your dealership that you want all of your old parts back, that should keep them honest.

9. I bought a Ford Focus 4 years ago and I also experienced the horrible tire wear and brake wear. I think it depends on the dealer as to how much they will do for you. I went to them and pitched a real bitch when my tires (Pirelli's) were basically bald at under 12,000 miles. They replaced them and said they suspected that they may have been defective. The alignment was fine. I had my doubts on the tires being that defective and those doubts were confirmed when I was back in their shop with a new bitch session at under 24,000 miles with the same thing only this time the brakes also were shot. They discounted the tires drastically and switched to Goodrich's. They also paid the parts cost on the pads and rotors and only charged me the labor. I feel they did a good job of handling a situation of servicing a poor product.

I made it another 20,000 miles on the Goodrich tires but replaced them again last winter. Now I am looking at another brake job. Needless to say we are considering other vehicles at this point.:rolleyes:

10. MY BEST ADVICE. Buy a chevy aveo. I got one new in 2006 for 12k out the door. Have 75k now, NEVER A SINGLE PROBLEM. Plus i get 38 miles per gallon, tires cost 46 dollars a piece, and a complete brake job cost 350 dollars, front and back.

If you drive a lot, driving a clown car like the Aveo would save you a lot of money. Not to mention, the chicks dig it:p and it has a ton of HP, like 94, 0-60 11.5 seconds!!!! lol

11. Sorry i was off by one year on purchase, it was 12/06 that i bought it. Yes i do pull my boat with it but with a 20ft trailer i hardley get the back of the car wet, maybe if the waves are being blown in to the launch. The extended warranty i purchased i am finding out was mis represented by the salesman so from this experience i won't purchase any others. As far as parking i park on a cement driveway.
    The lemon law is only good for 18,000 miles and you are right about the 3 trips.

12. Brian,
    I was able to get my tires taken care of by going through Bridgestone, we negotiated a deal where they paid for 54% of the new tires that i had to buy, because i had always had them rotated/balanced and had the air pressure checked as the warranty described. The dealership that i worked through said that the first set was a soft set of tires and that was the reason for the early demise. I purchased a 60 K tire by Bridgestone from them. No problems so far but only have 10 K on them at this time.
    I am going to look at different vehicles next time also.

13. How much weight can it pull?

14. Nitro,
    They turned the rotors and there was enough left to use them again, but the problem was with them not being able to get the rust off the emergency brake that it would cause a screeching noise going down the road, so to get rid of that i would have to put new rotors on the car. I have asked for the old parts!
    Ron

15. I'll add that some cars for reasons unknown have poor braking systems. The tire wear would have nothing to do with this, but the pads/rotors. I drive about 30,000+ miles per year for work and another 10,000 miles for pleasure. I do have 3 vehicles, but primarily drive a 2002 Saturn SL2 (for the last couple years). I bought this car brand new and I take excellent care of my vehicles. I have to replace the pads on this car every 20-35,000 miles. The car now has 110,000 miles and is on it's 4th set of front rotors!!!!

The Saturn dealership tells me these cars have poor braking systems and this is common. I do the work myself, so the cost is very minimal - I can put new pads on for less than $30, rotors and pads for just over $100. Compare this car with my Ford pickup that weighs 6500 lbs and pulls a 20ft boat around most of the time. The truck is constantly in/out of water. It is an 2003 and I bought it new. It has 90,000 miles and I just replaced the front pads @ 78,000 miles - rotors were fine.

With tires I buy top of the line Good Year tires and have always had great luck - I buy the 80,000 mile gauranteed. I replaced the original tires on the saturn and the Ford truck around 75,000 miles. The car has 35,000 miles on them and they still look new with excellent tread.

Some advise - dealer extended warranties in general are one of the biggest rip-offs going. Most require you to have all required maintenance done at the dealership (small fortune of money) and only cover limited parts/systems. Add up how much you will pay for the warranty and most of the time it is more than the cost of a MAJOR repair (tranny, etc). And that figure doesn't include the small bundle of cash you have spent paying dealer maintenance prices vs. doing it yourslef or independent mechanic shop.

Good luck with your issues!

16. Some advise - dealer extended warranties in general are one of the biggest rip-offs going. Most require you to have all required maintenance done at the dealership (small fortune of money) and only cover limited parts/systems. Add up how much you will pay for the warranty and most of the time it is more than the cost of a MAJOR repair (tranny, etc). And that figure doesn't include the small bundle of cash you have spent paying dealer maintenance prices vs. doing it yourslef or independent mechanic shop.

Good luck with your issues![/QUOTE]

Fish-N-Fool,
    Man do i agree with you on this, I will get my vehicle tomorrow, out the door for $655.00. Well there is always next time huh.
    Ron

17. can't pull a 20 foot trailer that's for sure! you could tow a small 14-16 foot alum. boat short distances depending on gear inside/motor size ect.

I would try to keep it under 50 miles towing with a small car, so you don't grind out your tranny. An Aveo could easily tow 1,000 pounds. Anything more, and it would probably pull the frame off the body lol

Best advice. Get a cheap car like an aveo, get a cheap 1500 dollar truck for towing. That's two brake jobs for you. It would pay off in the end.

[​IMG]

18. I'm either misunderstanding something, or your being fed a line. If they turned the rotors and they're fine, why would you need new ones? The emergency brake is nothing more than activating the rear calipers mechanically. It's still the same caliper and rotor that would operate when you step on the brake peddle. Is it new calipers you need, not rotors? That would make sense. That is quite common when people don't set their emergency brakes occasionally, as the rear brakes don't get used very often in everyday driving, and end up seizing up.

19. It sounds to me like they turned the front rotors and perhaps the rear had disk brakes. You are right that never using the emergency brake can cause problems with them seizing up.

As far as turning the rotors one thing to consider is that once they have been turned they become thinner and are much more prone to warping. I have had them turned on occasion and had the warping in fairly short time. I have not priced them lately with the increase in steel prices but the last I did them it was not that much more to actually get new rotors and that way you have the peace of mind knowing that you have the whole thickness still there. The one time I think it was around $60 for the new rotors and $25-30. for the turning. If you are in the garage again sooner to get them repaired then did you really save anything?