close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sandusky White Bass

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OhioBuckeye, May 21, 2007.

1. Ok Let me preface this by saying I'm a fairly new fisherman. Other than a lot of bobber/worm fishing as a kid I've have no technical fishing experience.

My question revolves around the Sandusky River and White Bass. I went fishing their Sunday AM and caught 3 over 4 hours. I was happpy to catch any at all considering the way I started. I started using a yellow grub and had no catches in 1.5 hours. A very nice lady offered me green and white grubs(Thank you!) and I then proceeded to catch three over the next couple of hours.
    Again I was just happy to be out in the water fishing so no complaints.

I would like to understand what the good fisherman are doing that I was not doing. How were some catching 1 every 1-15 minutes? or more? What are the experts doing to catch so many? I know it wasn't luck. They just knew what they were doing.

I was fishing just north of the state rd bridge.

Also the I noticed the double rig setup. I did this myself after watching the other fisherman. Why do you do this? Double the chance of sight? Or is there a more accurate reason why?

Do the colors change daily/yearly? How does one know what color is best to use? I was using 2 grubs. Is this the most common or is a rooster tail/grub combo better?

Thanks for the help!

OB

2. Try a white 1/8 inch rooster tail it never fails me, Last fri we went and i lost my rosster tail and stared catching the on white road runner heads, with pink and white bodys, caught more with a bobber on the same rig than without the bobber. And the biggest fish came off rooster tails.

3. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

color doesnt matter much unless it is ultra stained then i would go with the brighter hue's like yellow, orange and chart.

the best advise i could give would be after you catch one target that same area by visually marking the spot. The white bass will position mostly on current seems on each side of the bank. Try looking at the water and imaging the current being in the middle and fish the outside areas on either side toward the bank. With a river as wide as the Maumee/Sandusky you may have to wade further out to reach them. stay with baits that will cast far but will stay in the stike zone longer. A SONIC roostertail with a colorado style blade or a Mepps#2 work great. Small orange or chart. floating rapalas jerked under the water work great in shallow rivers. Try casting in different directions. Cast downstream and quarter across the current seams. You can slow your bait down and stay in the zone more by working back up against the current. When casting up river hold your rod up higher and retrive a bit faster to avoid snags. Watch your bait on the retrive because a lot of times you will see the stike. When the water is low look for small depressions using polorized glasses. These areas probably hold concentrations of fish. If you can see the bottom of the river almost all the way accross seek another section to fish. Oxbows or bends in the river seem to have deeper water because of the constant current washing out pockets.

hope some of these tips help you land some more whites...

4. Double jig rig...three way swivel, top leader at 7", bottom leader at 15"...use lighter line for your leaders than your mainline. Chartreuse, pearl/blue flake, white, etc tails work the best for me...but pink sometimes has it's day.

You might want to consider driving another 20 minutes and going to the Maumee. Much better fishing and a heck of a lot more room to spread out. There is current in the Maumee...and the likely locations of the fish are easier to spot/predict than in the Sandusky at downtown Fremont.

I can't justify spending the jack on roostertails. Guys love to use 'em...and they catch a lot of fish with them...but you'll never get one out that is hung up. Easier and cheaper to break off little leadheads.

Cast at a 90 degree angle to the current. Start your retrieve immediately. Sometimes they like it fast..sometimes a little pause will help.

Hang on...repeat...