close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sandusky river

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bronzeback, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Drove over the river today and could not believe how high it was. Have lived in Tiffin for a couple years and have seen it pretty high but not this high. It looks like it is only 5 or 6 feet from going over the concrete walls in town. Was looking at the gauge on the usgs site and it is 12 times its mean flow. Was wondering if anyone has seen it go higher in previous years.

2. back sometime in the late 80's it was over the wall,i just wonder if the tearing down of st.johns dam has something to do with it fishing is really bad around thier now us to be a really good place to fish.if you could get around all the snags.

3. Newyears day 15 or so years ago the Sandusky decided she didn't like being confined within her banks.
    Can't say if this is the year she jumped the floodwall downtown, but there was a lot of water in the parking lot at what is now Shell Shuckers nightclub.

I have a co-worker that lives on the river, he is not too happy about the St. John's dam being removed.

4. iteresting to see that both of the replies refer to the removal of the st.johns dam. i was under the impression that the dam did not provide flood relief since water could freely flow over it in times of high water.

5. the division of odnr i'm working for this summer is doing a project on the river. I had a chance last week to spend 2 days on the river above and below where the dam was. I would be suprised if you can't find good fishing near where the dam was. In my humble oppinion the river is better off without an impounded area there. The only draw back i could see to the removal of the dam was the loss of using the river to pontoon boat on. The dam provided no flood relief at all.

J