Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve went to beaver creek res a couple times here recently and haven’t done real great so I hit a familiar stretch of the Sandusky south of tiffin at the old St. John’s dam access. This stretch of river when the dam was up was amazing fishing for those who remember the great crappie fishing that was there. You could fish the log jam under the bridge or the dam and get nice crappie all the time. My PB crappie 16 3/4” was caught just south of the dam by the end of the houses down in locust grove in a brush pile(knew a old timer that had a house down there and fished it a bunch with him way back when). Anyways back to the report enough reminiscing haha. The stretch is still good for consistent smallies, rock bass, and cats. Water is low and crystal clear. The depth was 8”-24” max in the couple deep holes I know of and hit. Jig head with chunk of worm caught most of the fish. Jig head with yellow twister tail caught one small rock bass. Fished a bobber as I floated along and caught a few nice clean young channels. Didn’t really catch anything giant. 5 smallies 11”-13”. Biggest cat was around 15”. Caught 3 rock bass 8”-8 3/4”. Caught probably 20ish small cats. 4 rock bass. 8 smallies. River was on fire. Anyone who likes to get river wading/kayaking the Sandusky I would suggest trying it out soon. Can’t beat the scenery. The eagle was out flying too for those who know the area I’m talking. Such a beautiful sight eagles soaring down the river over you.
Water Natural environment Botany Lake Grass
Water Fisherman Body of water Salmon-like fish Fish
Water Vertebrate Organism Fisherman Watercourse
Water Green Lake Watercourse Fish

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was right at the bridge right there on 6 about 50yds south of the bridge. Since they took the dam out the water is just really really shallow usually now and doesn’t hold as many fish as it used to. If you go north of the bridge towards tiffin there are some deep holes that hold good fish. I usually go till about twp road 90 then turn around you can go all the way to bel mar in tiffin but it’s a day. A lot of good fishing thru that entire stretch though. Especially more towards tiffin as the water gets deeper. A good spot to always stop at and fish is the muddy/clear water line where honey creek meets the Sandusky. Caught a lot of fish there over the years as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts