close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sandusky Bay

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by mroseto, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Being a fairly new ohio resident I am looking for a place to ice fish. Where around the sandusky area is ice fishing possible? I have heard about all the 'eyes caught there in the open water and would like to try for some on hard water. I currently live in Lorain county and would like to find somewhere close.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

2. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

mroseto,
    First of all welcome to OGF ! Ice fishing for eyes is done predominantly in the Island areas where the ice locks up really well, but you have to get there by either airboat or plane. If the winds cooperate in February you can catch eyes from Catawba to Davis Besse. You can walk it but it's a lot easier to get to the reefs with an ATV or snow mobile. 2 years ago I did well in that area.
    Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill can be caught all around Sandusky in the marinas (get permission first) and the Sandusky Coal Docks. Also you may want to think about giving Presque Isle in Erie, Pa. a shot that area is loaded with panfish.
    I'm sure you'll get more replies to this thread as there is a wealth of knowledge on this website and everyone is very helpful with trying to get the newcomers onto some fish. Good luck on the ice.

Krustydawg

3. You Can Use A 4 Wheeler To Get To The Island Areas..its Better To Fly Or Use An Airboat But Not Always Necessary....we Used A Guide Who Has A 4 Wheeler The Last 2 Yrs..its Iffy At Times But I Take Big Chances....i Took A Big Chance On Getting A Transplant That Was 14 Yrs Ago....